PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Basics Savage 1

FW Conch
08-21-2016, 07:28 PM
I have had an SSS Competition trigger on My favorite Savage since 2008, so I know what a good Savage trigger feels like.

I have worked on two Stevens 200 triggers that were so bad they were almost unusable, and got them down to a crisp, no creep, 2 1/2 pounds: safely.

I'm using another Stevens 200 for a build, and got this trigger down to 3 pounds, but that's more than I want for this rifle. So I decided to try the Rifle Basics Sav 1, which claims to go down to 14 oz.

So I bought the trigger for a good price from Mounting Solutions Plus, free shipping, with great fast service. That's the good part.

Long story short, the best I can get is 24 to 28 ounces without the rifle firing upon vigorous bolt closing, and at that I have little confidence. I think this trigger needs to be at 2 pounds or more before I would even consider letting anyone else use the rifle. And that little bit of improvement doesn't justify the coat of replacement.

I should have known what I really need is the Savage 2, because the SSS Comp. seems to be unavailable right now. The Savage 2 claims to go down to 4 ounces

1. Is the 4 ounce claim true for the Savage 2 ?
2. Is it safe at that setting?
3. If not, what is the lowest safe setting?

If I were going to carry, or hunt with this rifle, I would set it at 2 1/2 lbs

Any help here would be greatly appreciated... Thanks...Jim

olddav
08-21-2016, 08:15 PM
I guessing your talking about a Rile Basix SAV-2. I installed one and have it set at 14oz with no problems.

FW Conch
08-21-2016, 08:25 PM
^ Yes, I'm considering upgrading to the Rifle Basics Savage 2 ^ and thanks for your input :-)

Dennis
08-22-2016, 06:57 AM
I have had an SSS Competition trigger on My favorite Savage since 2008, so I know what a good Savage trigger feels like.

I have worked on two Stevens 200 triggers that were so bad they were almost unusable, and got them down to a crisp, no creep, 2 1/2 pounds: safely.

I'm using another Stevens 200 for a build, and got this trigger down to 3 pounds, but that's more than I want for this rifle. So I decided to try the Rifle Basics Sav 1, which claims to go down to 14 oz.

So I bought the trigger for a good price from Mounting Solutions Plus, free shipping, with great fast service. That's the good part.

Long story short, the best I can get is 24 to 28 ounces without the rifle firing upon vigorous bolt closing, and at that I have little confidence. I think this trigger needs to be at 2 pounds or more before I would even consider letting anyone else use the rifle. And that little bit of improvement doesn't justify the coat of replacement.

I should have known what I really need is the Savage 2, because the SSS Comp. seems to be unavailable right now. The Savage 2 claims to go down to 4 ounces

1. Is the 4 ounce claim true for the Savage 2 ?
2. Is it safe at that setting?
3. If not, what is the lowest safe setting?

If I were going to carry, or hunt with this rifle, I would set it at 2 1/2 lbs

Any help here would be greatly appreciated... Thanks...Jim

SAV-2 . . . 3 to 6 oz's is usually
easy obtainable. Sometime you have to work with it, I have several set in this range.

Let me know If you need further info.

Dennis

FW Conch
08-22-2016, 07:59 AM
^ That, is good to hear ^

"Sometimes you have to work with it"? I have worked with this RB Sav 1 for more hours than all the other Savage triggers put together. It just cannot perform as advertised. I don't mind working with the RB Sav 2 at all, if I can get 6 or 8 or even 14 ounces out of it, safely.

Thanks Dennis!

And it is "GREAT" to hear from You!!! :-))

Dennis
08-22-2016, 08:41 AM
I am almost back on both feet now and going crazy waiting to get well.

Thanks, Dennis

FW Conch
08-23-2016, 11:19 AM
^ Very good news! ^ Take Your time and get the recovery right. Your "Brothers" here will be glad when You are 100% :-)

FW Conch
08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Mounting Solutions Plus wanted a review of the RB Sav 1, so I explained My experience. They almost immediately got back to Me and offered to provide a safe solution that would be acceptable to Me. They allowed Me to return the trigger and sent me a USPS return sticker. They are out of stock right now, but I am going to upgrade to the Rifle Basics Savage 2 when they are restocked.

Mounting Solutions Plus offered the best price I found, free shipping, asked for a review, and accepted the product back, shipping paid, when it didn't meet My expectations.

Service like this should be the standard for the industry.

Very Appreciative...Jim :-)

FW Conch
08-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Mounting Solutions Plus got back in touch with Me and said the RB Savage 2 was in stock. They told Me the difference in cost to upgrade and I paid them through PayPal. The trigger arrived yesterday afternoon(Sat). I installed it in the rifle today. A1 service !

But, it seems there is always some issue with this game, and this one falls on Rifle Basics. I don't have anything that can play the CD ROM instructional video. I know others have complained about this. I figured out how to install the trigger in the rifle, but I'm not going to attempt to adjust it until I see the video. Out of the box, the trigger is set at 30ounces. I have to find time tomorrow to hit the local library and view the CD on their PC :-((

Installation of the RB Sav 2 has got to be the only thing Savage that is not covered on YouTube? And it can't be that difficult to include written instructions with the trigger?

When I get it tuned, I think I'm going to like this trigger...Thanks:Jim

foxx
08-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Sav-2 is a nice trigger. I have gotten mine down pretty low and still safe. However, to get it at 2.5 pounds for hunting you will need to put in a different spring and maybe another part. (The video will explain there are 2 springs included with it, one for higher poundage, the other for target weight.) Not sure how convenient that will be for you.

foxx
08-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Yes, Dennis. Good to hear you're doing better.

FW Conch
08-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Thanks foxx. I'm not sure what My train of though was when I mentioned 2.5lbs. If there was one ;-). But I've got plenty of 2.5lb triggers, and now that I've installed the Sav 2, I'm confident I can swap them at will, if necessary. But with this one set at 30ozs, I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it. Because hard bumping and bolt closing won't trip it.

And yes, I saw the note about the "red" spring for lighter pull.

Could You give Me some idea what the minimum and maximum range of pull weight would be with the red spring installed?

Thanks...Jim :-)

foxx
08-28-2016, 09:24 PM
I don't know, and don't want to mess with the ones I have so as to find out. :)
but I would not want to hunt with the light spring. I would guess maxes out at 1.5 pounds????

FW Conch
08-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Don't blame You there. Maybe I can discover the range while I'm setting mime up.

Thanks...Jim

Iowa Fox
08-29-2016, 01:32 AM
Jim, eagerly looking forward to your report on the Sav 2 trigger. There are a lot of shooters out here looking for a 3-6 oz. Savage trigger.

FW Conch
08-29-2016, 07:54 AM
^ You got it " I F " ^

Because I have had the SSS trigger on My go to rifle for some time, and have been very satisfied with it, I am getting into the RB Sav 2 late in the game. 3 to 6ozs may be lower than I want venture? Dennis has offered to help, and he may be our best source. But what ever I discover I will share.

Since this thread started out about the RB Sav 1, I'm going to close it and open a new one for the Rifle Basics Savage 2.

Thanks Guys...Jim :-)