PDA

View Full Version : Axis in 6.8?

javman1962
08-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Thinking of getting a new barrel and having it reamed out in 6.8 and putting it in axis action. Other than opening bolt face up a bit, what other things should be taken into consideration?

Thanks

Robinhood
08-21-2016, 03:59 PM
I hope you mean you are going to have it chambered in 6.8 SPC.? Otherwise purchasing a barrel in 270 caliber with a 1:11.5 twist would be the better option.

Magazine function may need some tweaking.

javman1962
08-22-2016, 09:37 PM
Yeah that's what i was referring to, .277 barrel chamber it in 6.8.

Robinhood
08-22-2016, 09:43 PM
I know you didn't ask this question but that chambering was designed to utilize the AR platform and its limitations. If I had an AR in that chambering and I reloaded I might consider it. Otherwise look at what you could do with the extra room. If you move forward I would want to know about extraction and feeding. Good luck and let us know how you solved the issues you confronted.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Got a 6.8 SPC on a Model 10. Not much info about the 6.8 on a bolt gun so I built one. Most everything on the AR platform. And I couldn't see rechambering a good AR to 6.8 so I stuck to the Savage. I single feed so no feeding/extraction issues. Never considered loading from the mag. Maybe single stack? Open up a bolt head, spin on a chambered barrel and go shooting.
Went with the SPC chambering rather than the SPC II. Shorter throat so I could jam my loads. Five shot group from the bench at around 1/2". With no scope adjustment and a little holdover, ringing steel out past 440 yards with ease. BIG bullet selection available but I start out lite and go heavier as the throat wears.