PDA

View Full Version : Trigger for 70's vintage 112V

cornfused
08-21-2016, 08:55 AM
I have a 1975 Savage 112V ... I can't get it to adjust below 3 lbs safely; are there any modifications that can be made to safely lower it's pull weight?? Cost effective replacement?? Thanks!!

olddav
08-21-2016, 08:22 PM
is it a three screw trigger with a wire spring?

cornfused
08-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Yes...3 screw W/wire spring.

olddav
08-22-2016, 08:35 AM
First and formost, Be Careful!
Trigger work is scary and can cause you and others great bodily harm!

You can replace the wire spring. I read on this forum about cutting a spring from a "Buzz Bait" lure, and it worked for me. I also stoned the face of the trigger with a ceramic stone (only a couple of passes) just enough to remove any burrs on the contact surface. I was able to lower the pull weight of the trigger to 2.5 lb, maybe a little less but I working from memory here.
I would encourage you to replace the spring first and see how it feels.

You have to use great restraint if you choose to attempt to stone a factory trigger as they are only surfaced hardened and once you remove the hardened surface the material is very soft and will not hold up to much use at all.

I'm sure I left something out so do some research on trigger work before you get started, and be sure to give the rifle the bump test!

Edit: I also polished the sear contact face. It's a stamped steel part and does not have the same issues that
the trigger has. At least I don't think it does.

cornfused
08-22-2016, 10:53 PM
I'll give that a try & post my findings.... Thanks!!!

keeki
08-23-2016, 01:26 AM
Buy a .038", .039", or a .040" piano spring and bend it to fit