PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Model 25?

lucky hunter
08-18-2016, 09:32 PM
I am looking for a new 223. Really looking at the model 25s. What is the exact difference between the lightweight varminter and the walking varminter? How do they shoot? Any issues with them? Thanks!

J.Baker
08-19-2016, 12:17 AM
Only difference is the stock. Which I would recommend really depends on how you intend to use it and what kind of stock you prefer.

If you want a walking/stalking hunting rifle, go with the Walking Varminter. The stock isn't the best, but it's sufficient and it's light whereas the factory laminate stocks are heavy and have a wide forearm that doesn't fit the hand as well for off-hand shots. It's not bad off-hand, but not ideal IMO. If you can't stand the stock Boyds offers some sporter-style replacements in walnut and laminate (Prairie Hunter, Classic & Heritage). They'll ad a little weight but still be comfortable for off-hand work.

If you shoot mostly from a bench or bipod, go with the Lightweight Varminter with factory laminate stock. Personally I hate thumbhole stocks, but a lot of guys swear by them so choose whichever tickles your fancy.