PDA

View Full Version : AR 223AI Fireforming

scope eye
08-18-2016, 07:12 AM
I have been pondering this for a while and have yet to see a down side, and that is what worries me what am I missing, so if anyone can see something please speak up.
I am constantly running out of 223AI brass it is long and tedious process as far as bolt guns go, not to mention wears the throat out on your barrel with all the fireforming. And shooters are always asking me for some, so in short it is a hot commodity.
So what I was thinking is taking one of my AR15 and Ackley Improving it, I would load it with regular rounds but I could go to the range and spit out a couple of hundred rounds in no time all fire formed, am I missing something or would it be that easy.

Dean

FW Conch
08-18-2016, 07:21 AM
Sounds like another good excuse to shoot more!!! ;-))

scope eye
08-18-2016, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know, if I set back the barrel to do this lets say 1 inch, do I just trim the gas tube end that goes into they upper to fit the shorter length?

Dean

PS: Hey it is not an excuse to shoot more I have a legitimate reason, It's for the children.LOL

earl39
08-18-2016, 09:18 AM
Just a guess Dean but i don't think you can set an AR barrel back so it would require a new barrel. Not looking at the specs but maybe a 222 barrel reamed out would work if you could find one.

yobuck
08-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Why fire form for an Ackley chamber?
Just load and go with full blown loads.
Such was the genious of Ackley.

JW
08-18-2016, 03:12 PM
Make sure your barrel is not chrome lined
I am thinking like Earl-- you might be able to ackley the barrel but really have not looked
Modifying/ shortening the gas tube would be tedious as the gas block end is "blanked" off and the bolt carrier end is swelled
But it could be done I'm sure
As you probably already know, head space is accomplished by reaming to depth with the barrel extension installed and torqued
Then the gas port hole is drilled in the barrel in line with the line up pin on the extension

Jack

scope eye
08-19-2016, 07:30 AM
Why fire form for an Ackley chamber?
Just load and go with full blown loads.
Such was the genious of Ackley.

That is what I meant fire forming while shooting but in a bolt gun it is one at a time, in an AR I could do wholesale amounts in no time.

Dean

243LPR
08-20-2016, 09:20 AM
If you're starting with a 16" AR barrel and set it back you'll be too short-legally. Nothing can be easy!

scope eye
08-20-2016, 09:35 AM
That's where those barrel extensions come in handy.

Dean