PDA

View Full Version : Decisions!!

lucky hunter
08-17-2016, 07:27 PM
I am in the market for a new 223. I have about a $600 budget for the rifle only. I just sold my Ruger American Predator cuz it was a POS and I couldn't get it to shoot worth a dam. So now I am looking for something that I can shoot paper with (something the barrel wont heat up quickly as my Ruger got 3 shots before accuracy went bad due to a hot barrel). But I am also looking for something that is light enough to carry around the woods and hunt with so I don't want a full blown bull barrel.

I think I have it narrowed down to the axis HB customized with an accutrigger and boyd thumbhole stock (both a must have for me). Or a model 25 walking varminter with a boyd stock.

What would you all pick and why? Or is there a better option out there for me?

J.Baker
08-17-2016, 11:51 PM
Personally I'd go with the Axis for a couple of reasons. First, it's the cheaper option. Second, I really question how much longer the Model 25's will be around as they don't seem to be real big sellers. That could lead to an issue with getting replacement parts in the future. Third, if down the road you decide you want something besides a 223 you can simply rebarrel the Axis whereas the Model 25 is limited to smaller cartridges and no one offers pre-fit barrels for them.

psharon97
08-18-2016, 12:13 AM
If you're not opposed to building a rifle, that might be a better route. Find a used Savage or Stevens, sell the current barrel and stock, buy a drop-in prefit barrel, install a better trigger, and you're better off than what you could pick up from Savage.

30-06shooter
08-18-2016, 08:49 AM
out of the two listed I would go with the axis HB.

yobuck
08-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Reality is the best of 2 worlds rarely works well for either.
A few years back I decided to have my heavy barrel 223 rechambered to 22x250ai and get a walking around type 223.
I chose a C Z lefty 527 for its looks, detachable magazine, and the nice action.
I ended up having 4 different ones, none shooting less than tennis ball size groups before my money was refunded.
I now have a Ruger Hawkeye which dosent shoot very well either, that I acquired in a trade.
Guess what, the guy who traded me the Ruger, immediately bought a light weight Savage.
I have also bought another heavy barrel Savage 223 so I can hit prairie dogs consistently. (pretty consistently)
Are you thinking why didn't he keep his original 223 and just buy a 22x250? lol
Id be having 2 guns, and for a carrying around or Jeep type gun, a magazine is nice to have.

lucky hunter
08-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Man I'm so undecided. I'm not into rebarreling or anything like that so whatever I get will stay a 223. I handled both today. The 25 was better balanced compared to the axis heavy barrel. But I worry about the 25s barrel heating up quickly like my Ruger American did. The axis was very barrel heavy. Not sure if that would change once I put a Boyd thumbhole stock on tho. I don't know what to do lol

Bigt240
08-18-2016, 09:57 PM
I bought a used axis in 223, sold the barrel, added a bison gun works 223 7t barrel, boyds pro varmint and a rifle basix trigger. Shoots my 80gr amax loads under a dime at 100 and is a great budget f/tr gun.

Texas10
09-13-2016, 11:25 PM
When Cabelas has a sale, and Savage's rebate program is in force, there's no better deal than the Savage model 12FV. After rebates, you're talking $250.00 for a very capable varmint rifle, and one that can be easily improved with aftermarket triggers, stocks, etc.

I went with the Revolution thumbhole stock from EA Brown. $180 and comes with pillars installed. Ready to plug and play except you'll need to buy another trigger guard. The stock 12FV guard will not fit (same issue with Boyds). I think I paid like $6 from Savage.

Add a bi-pod, sling, good glass and a one piece rail and you're ready to rock n' roll.

It'll be a tad nose heavy what with a 26 in varmint barrel, but it'll definitely reach out there when you need it to.