PDA

View Full Version : Apache Barrel With Displaced Steel at Breech

DrThunder88
08-17-2016, 02:32 AM
I was at the range a few days ago trying my latest and greatest Apache-powered experiment. Things were going pretty well. The gun went together beautifully and looked simply sublime in its coyote laminate stock. I loaded a round and closed the bolt. A little stiff, but I knew the bullets were loaded to the lands, so maybe one ventured into the leade.

The shot went off without a hitch. The gun rocked in the sandbag cradle and spectacularly failed to explode. A good sign! I then went to open the bolt. The handle lifted and then stopped. I couldn’t bring the bolt back. A few minutes, a range rod, and me stomping on the handle later, the bolt came back. On the ejected casing, I saw two bright marks near the base of the brass with a small burr in the middle. An empty, unfired case was similarly frozen when closed in the chamber but was held with less tenacity.

Getting the gun home, I immediately probed the chamber with dental picks and could not find any burrs in the steel. I tore the gun apart and examined the breech end of the barrel. Based on the where the marks were in the brass, I concluded that the problem was in two areas. Both of these corresponded to marks stamped in the steel by Apache.

Anyway, I sent an email to Jim about this problem on Sunday, and I’m still waiting to hear back him. I hope he’s willing to make it work.

scooterf79
08-17-2016, 02:44 AM
Not sure if I've ever heard of that happening Dr. T. I've got no doubt Jim will make it right. He's still pretty busy and he isn't answering emails as quick as he used to. I'll keep up on this thread to see what happens.
Scooter

Hotolds442
08-17-2016, 10:43 AM
That's the second one in recent weeks to appear here. Here's the first: http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?52226-UPDATED-MY-6-5x284&highlight=Apache

Robinhood
08-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Both of these corresponded to marks stamped in the steel by Apache. Some people do not believe it but stamps do move metal. I suggest if someone is going to mark a barrel post machining it needs to be done prior to machining or like many barrel companies do it, use a vibrating metal marker.

RC20
08-18-2016, 02:50 PM
I too follow this with interest. I know steel can displace, but that area is the thickest part even on a non varmint or bull contour.

I don't think relevant but caliber and contour?

DrThunder88
08-18-2016, 03:07 PM
.338 Edge and bull.

Still no word back.

DrThunder88
08-19-2016, 12:04 PM
I got in touch with Jim today. He's having me ship the barrel shipped back on his dime to be repaired. It also seems like he's reevaluating his process to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks!

eddiesindian
08-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Some people do not believe it but stamps do move metal. I suggest if someone is going to mark a barrel post machining it needs to be done prior to machining or like many barrel companies do it, use a vibrating metal marker.

+1...............

eddiesindian
08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
I got in touch with Jim today. He's having me ship the barrel shipped back on his dime to be repaired. It also seems like he's reevaluating his process to prevent this from happening in the future. Thanks!

Glad to hear he,s backing his work. Ordered mine 5 months back. Still waiting. One things for sure. 1st thing Im checking when mine arrives is for stamp markings at the breech.

Robinhood
08-22-2016, 09:21 PM
There is no question Jim is a stand up guy. He started his business to help the average Joe while making a little doe(dough). There is not a fraudulent bone in his body.

DrThunder88
08-23-2016, 09:57 PM
No doubt! The barrel is already back on its way to me. Jim really turned it around quickly.

RC20
08-25-2016, 06:47 PM
My Shilen barrel just came in.

The markings are on the flat on the receiver end, not in the metal on the barrel.

I sent them an email, kind of what I suspected, you don't know where the labeling will wind up, so they put it on the end and you can do your own.

On the other hand its fun to have it a mystery barrel at the range!

I sure am not going to stamp anything in it!

Any stamping maybe better down the barrel past the chamber, not affect it even if it embeds through.

I would not have guessed it would transmit (displace) through that much material.

DrThunder88
08-29-2016, 01:44 AM
Things have been very busy, but the barrel is back and reassembled. Cartridges were dropping right in, so I suspect it is good to go. I won't get a chance to test fire it until next weekend, but I am very optimistic!

Thanks, Jim!

DrThunder88
09-04-2016, 09:52 PM
So, I got the rifle out to the range today, and I'm pleased to say Jim did a great job getting the breech cleaned up. I'm also happy to note that the gun is a real shooter already! I'll go into more detail in a few weeks, but suffice to say X-caliber by Apache may be my brand of choice from here on.

jpx2rk
09-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Glad it all went well for ya.