PDA

View Full Version : 62/64-Series: CCI Stingers poor fit in 64 mags?

DaveInDenver
08-17-2016, 02:10 AM
I finally got some CCI Stingers. They look too long for the mags! Really close to mag ramp... unlike other CP/LRN.

I have not shot them yet.

Normal? OK? Or prob coming my way?

shagerott
08-17-2016, 06:24 PM
Just tried some in my Savage 64 magazines. They fit with about .010" to spare. They are longer than a normal 22LR but load easily.

I have not fired Stingers in the Savage 64, only bolt action. The model 64 is tuned for high velocity 22LR and I have 100s of rounds through it with no issues. If you have a lead ring build up in the chamber it may spike pressure with the longer Stinger. I would also wonder about the higher pressure Stinger pushing the bolt back too hard, JMHO though. No actual tests to prove or disprove.

DaveInDenver
08-18-2016, 12:18 AM
Just tried some in my Savage 64 magazines. They fit with about .010" to spare. They are longer than a normal 22LR but load easily.

I have not fired Stingers in the Savage 64, only bolt action. The model 64 is tuned for high velocity 22LR and I have 100s of rounds through it with no issues. If you have a lead ring build up in the chamber it may spike pressure with the longer Stinger. I would also wonder about the higher pressure Stinger pushing the bolt back too hard, JMHO though. No actual tests to prove or disprove.

Thanks! No lead ring build up (new gun and snake after each use) but it is really good to know that situation can happen.

I've started out with hotter rounds (Win SuperX and Aguila SE/HV, both cp/rn) to break-in the new auto-action. Good to know the 64 is tuned for HV ammo. I did have one stove and one FTE in the first 60 rounds. New gun syndrome? Or did I cause that problem with the higher FPS rounds? If I did then I am reluctant to fire the Stingers.

But that is why I am asking pros on this forum.

Thanks!

shagerott
08-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Your experience starting out is similar to mine. I was using 325 boxes of Federal AutoMatch, older mfr date. Those ran well from new.

Ran some Rem Golden Bullets when the bolt was already dirty after 300 rounds of the Federal and got sticky very quickly. That was the first and only FTE. After a thorough cleaning, it ran fine again.

DaveInDenver
08-18-2016, 05:56 PM
Thanks!

DaveInDenver
08-20-2016, 12:18 AM
Shot 3 different mags of CCI stingers today and had 2 FTF (2 dif mags) where the tip of the bullet jammed into the back of the barrel chamber which marred the copper plated lead nose way to bad to retry them. 2 out of 36 is a not-again in my book.

Then shot 50 rds of CCI mini-mag solid 40's cp/rn that cycled well but with 1 dud round.

All fresh ammo.

shagerott
08-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Thank you for the update and willing to test it. I will stay with stingers in the bolt action then. Mini mags usually work well in semis, including pistols.

On rimfire central there were some reports that QC may be a little less recently due to the push to get the 22LR demand met. IDK how true it is though. My older stuff, 5 years (wow) had no duds.

Enjoy the model 64.

handirifle
08-21-2016, 12:37 PM
After seing the video of the tour of the CCI factory, and how automated everything is, I don't see how QC would be any different. Maybe they used to do more testing of case lots before shipping, than they do now. Not sure how else they would know.

oneoldjimmy
08-23-2016, 07:04 PM
Have had zero issues with stingers in my 64...