PDA

View Full Version : Inletting for an Axis ?

FrankenCub
08-17-2016, 02:08 AM
Any of you guys do your own inletting on a blank for your Axis ? I want a new stok for mine but really not into what's available. I seen some nice stocks here.. http://www.rifle-stocks.com/sporter_hunting_styles.htm ..but par for the course, they don't inlet for the Axis. I really like the Wildcat and the Wolverine Thumbhole. I emailed them a while back and they said they'd sell one with no inletting. Price is right too.
Is there another action that is close to the Axis as far as inletting goes? I've been thinking about taking the project on but not sure I have enough wood working skill to not ruin it.
Think it's worth it?

DrThunder88
08-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Someone here has done the inletting at home (I think it was BSA stock turned into an Axis stock), but it's not something I've ever tried. The receiver diameter is the same as 10/110 rifles, but the recoil lug, action screw spacing and rear contact point are totally different.

I'm a little shocked Richards isn't offering an Axis stock yet. It might have something to do with the extra bits Axises need though.

FrankenCub
08-17-2016, 03:02 PM
Someone here has done the inletting at home (I think it was BSA stock turned into an Axis stock), but it's not something I've ever tried. The receiver diameter is the same as 10/110 rifles, but the recoil lug, action screw spacing and rear contact point are totally different.

I'm a little shocked Richards isn't offering an Axis stock yet. It might have something to do with the extra bits Axises need though.

Thanks. The recoil lug and screw spacing differences I was aware of but didn't know about the other stuff. I've never even tried any inletting. Me and wood don't usually make very good friends lol.
I'm surprised more stock makers don't have something to offer with the Axis being as popular as it is and the factory stocks being the biggest complaint I've seen of them. It was a while ago that I emailed Richards and I don't remember if I asked if they had plans on Axis inletting in the future. With the variety of styles they have available I'm sure they would sell a lot.
I've looked on fleabay for used but only find the factory stocks of course.

foxx
08-17-2016, 06:43 PM
Sharp Shooter Supply makes nice stocks for those. He also offers it with traditional model 10 all metal bottom metal inletting.

FrankenCub
08-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Sharp Shooter Supply makes nice stocks for those. He also offers it with traditional model 10 all metal bottom metal inletting.

Yeah I seen his. They do look like nice stocks but I want more of a pistol grip ergonomics, I'm predominately a pistol shooter and really dislike the standard rifle or shotgun feel. That's why I was so interested in Richards stocks.

J.Baker
08-18-2016, 10:36 PM
He also offers it with traditional model 10 all metal bottom metal inletting.

I don't know where you got that info, but that would be a pretty neat trick considering the screw placement and spacing is different on the Axis. Only thing he's inletting for off a 10/110 is the trigger guard which is standard on the Axis stocks.

foxx
08-19-2016, 09:47 AM
I don't know where you got that info, but that would be a pretty neat trick considering the screw placement and spacing is different on the Axis. Only thing he's inletting for off a 10/110 is the trigger guard which is standard on the Axis stocks.

Yep. I misunderstood something Fred told me awhile ago about those.

sharpshooter
08-19-2016, 11:05 AM

It is a neat trick......and yes, I have done that. Your memory is getting bad, because you've seen it with your own eyes.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/axissmu1_zpscfed31b3.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/sharp-shooter/media/axissmu1_zpscfed31b3.jpg.html)

daddyusmaximus
08-19-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm very happy with the fit and finish of the stock I got from Boyd's, but I went with a traditional style that sounds like you wouldn't want. I believe they make a thumbhole style stock for the Axis that may fit your needs.

J.Baker
08-19-2016, 01:31 PM
It is a neat trick......and yes, I have done that. Your memory is getting bad, because you've seen it with your own eyes.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/axissmu1_zpscfed31b3.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/sharp-shooter/media/axissmu1_zpscfed31b3.jpg.html)

Getting bad? That would imply that it was good at some point - something I can assure you was never the case. LOL

foxx
08-20-2016, 07:50 PM
hmmm...

I was wrong once.

I thought I was mistaken, then found out the next day I wasn't. ;)

rick3
09-16-2016, 10:41 AM
Could I piggyback on the original question...I would also like to try doing a simple wood stock for my Axis, and I'd like to know if there is any info about doing the inletting?
My guess is that if you couldn't find the info about doing inletting into the wood itself, that you could "hog out" a large enough space in the stock, then do the inletting by using JBWeld (or something) with the actual receiver...what do you think?

drybean
09-16-2016, 09:44 PM
I did one on a short action boyds stock before there was any after market stocks available
it can be seen on Apache web site , look under bolt Handles
it is the one setting on a fence post