PDA

View Full Version : Milk Jug challenge delay

doctnj
08-16-2016, 10:43 PM
Some of you may know my daughter's goal is shooting the 1000 yrd milk jug challenge. She saw another 11 y/o do it so it is on. Except she just snapped her arm, her humorous just below the head. Long crappy healing time. Possible surgical intervention. Decision will be made thursday as our orthopod is on vacation. Its the right shoulder of course so many things are out for now. So If you dont hear any updates on how she is coming along, this is why. Could stand a few more prayers as well. Mostly for pain relief. She is in a lot right now. thanks folks

LongRange
08-17-2016, 07:54 AM
sorry to hear that...tell her to get well fast she has some shooting to do.

psharon97
08-17-2016, 02:46 PM
That's a bummer.

devildogandboy
08-17-2016, 08:32 PM
that sucks! i wish her the best.

Bruce

jpx2rk
08-18-2016, 08:07 AM
Hope she heals up quickly and can continue to compete like she wants to.

doctnj
08-18-2016, 08:38 AM
We will find out today if she will need surgery. The break is right at the growth plate so it's complicated. The other option is sitting as still as possible for weeks. No good option!

doctnj
08-18-2016, 08:46 AM
It's bad enough that it's very easy to see on the radiograph.
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w435/doctnj/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0218.jpg

Rick_W
08-18-2016, 07:29 PM
Wishing her the best!

doctnj
08-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Update. Not sure how we feel about this just yet but it seems to be the best news. For now no surgery!! We are going to keep her slung up and mobilized for a few more days. He thought that if she was careful, she could go back to school next week. It will depend on her pain level. Bottom line is we are looking at 3 to 4 months of healing total time. He expects it to heal by the end of the 4th month to the strength it was prior to the brake. Mostly because she is a child. I work mostly on elderly and middle age so a shorter recovery was never on my radar. I was sure we were looking to 6 months. We will take what we can get and run with it. Just have to be careful so she doesnt re fracture before that time.

When I told her that several of you guys were wishing her well it meant a lot. I could see by the look on her face that it made her feel special. And I want to say thank you as well. It gave me a place to vent when she was hurt. The father in me doesnt like to see that at all.

reaper06
08-19-2016, 02:21 PM
Congrats on the better than expected news. Tell her we are all pulling for her.

doctnj
08-19-2016, 06:26 PM
you guys are awesome. She is real appreciative. Im about to head out to go compete against her mother at the cheer gym. lol this should be good. Its supposed to be cheerleader against parent so Teresa is substituting for Em and Im going up against her. This will not be a walk in the park. We both use the same trainer lol. For an active competitive child to have to sit still its maddening. She comes by it naturally as her mother and I are fierce competitors with everything we do.

The other day texas hillbilly asked me if I had any mechanical aptitude. I am in the process of uploading a video of a typical 30 minutes at the office lol. He can judge for himself.

HRstretch
08-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Hope her healing time is short and relatively painless. Let her know she is in our prayers.

doctnj
08-21-2016, 04:42 PM
I will tell her!

2inaboat
08-31-2016, 10:58 AM
I can totally sympathize with your daughters predicament and I feel her pain, I had surgery on my right shoulder in May and its been a long and painful recovery, I wish her a speedy recovery and all the best for the milk jug challenge.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

doctnj
08-31-2016, 10:35 PM
I meant to get on here earlier and say we/she is so touched by support from people that dont even know her. Just the sport.

She is 15 days past the break and daily taking her arm out of the sling just to let it hang down straight and give it a little wiggle for blood flow. Five minutes twice a day. Each week will include a little more until she is released back to normal routine. Meanwhile her bullets are loaded and her rifle is ready. I refuse to shoot it if she cant. Deer season is almost on us as well so she wants to be ready to kill her first deer this year. Then back on to training for milk jug. We have till half way through march to get it done.

We told her that her mom and I were going to go shoot our first match next month. Her response was "without me!"...choked up voice...
I let her see what kind of match we were going to shoot and she admitted that she needed to put on a little more size first to be able to handle the rifle from different positions. I told her lets focus on the jug and get it. THEN, we can start training for precision rifle matches. Im going to use everything that I learn and bring back and train her. Her competitive drive will have her training hard just has to be kept focused so she doesnt get spread out in too many directions and get overwhelmed.

2inaboat
09-07-2016, 04:59 PM
You're a good man doctnj

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

doctnj
09-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Thanks. We are hoping that by some time in late Nov that she will get the go ahead to be able to start to shoot again. Not only for the challenge but also for her first deer season that she will be able to shoot on her own. I have discovered, however, that I suck at math homework. :)