PDA

View Full Version : Weight differences between Precision Carbine and Predator Max1?

wahoowad
07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Hello gents! I am planning on joining your ranks by purchasing either the Model 10 Precision Carbine or the Predator Hunter Max1 (in .223 for both). Can someone help me understand why these 2 similar guns have such a big weight difference as per Savage website? They appear to be the same gun except:

- Predator Hunter Max1, 22" barrel, 8.5 lbs

- Precision Carbine, 20" barrel, 7 lbs

Both are Accustock so that does not explain the difference. I would expect the Predator to be a little heavier due to the 2" longer barrel, but not a full 1.5 pounds. I'm a little hesitant the 8.5 pound starting weight for the Predator will be uncomfortably heavy by the time I drop a scope and bipod on it. I do a lot of walking large farms in my quest for groundhog pink mist, teeth and toes. ;D

nomosendero
07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I believe the PH has a barrel contour all it's own & is a smaller barrel than the PM1, though still a stiff barrel, & that would be some of the wt. The PC would seem a better choice for your application.

janizary
07-28-2010, 11:48 AM
I've been looking at picking up a 2nd 10PC in .223 (currently have one in .308) and noticed that the Max looked almost the same myself. Barring some miraculous difference, I'll be picking up the .223 as a 2nd 10PC.

wahoowad
07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Did you see ANY difference other than the barrel length? Different stock? Different barrel? I thought they barrels were the same. Unfortunately limited info on the Savage website.

nomosendero
07-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Did you see ANY difference other than the barrel length? Different stock? Different barrel? I thought they barrels were the same. Unfortunately limited info on the Savage website.

PC barrel contour is stiff, but smaller than Pred. Max as stated before.