PDA

View Full Version : Any New Model Lightweight Hunter Owners

dranrab
08-15-2016, 09:37 PM
I am really liking the new 16/116 lightweight hunters. Do any of you own them or know of anyone who has one? Just looking for a little feedback. I suspect I'll own one in 223 before too long. A first time poster started a thread here about how he found one in tan, but hasn't been back to give any details. Information, tests and reviews are scarce.

jpdown
08-16-2016, 11:04 AM
I've owned three LWH models. Currently, I have a the 16 LWH in 7mm08 and a 111 LWH build with 23" 280AI #2 contour barrel. The LWH makes a great, compact, lightweight rifle. Note, the 20" FW barrel heats up fast (3 rounds) and groups will open up. I hate the cheap plastic tupperware stock they put on the 16 LWH. The walnut LWH stocks are a lot better and they allow you to replace the plastic bottom parts with all metal parts. Ive found bedding the action and recoil lug area to the front of the smooth barrel nut will improve accuracy potential. I also filled the first stock well in front of the recoil lug with bedding to strengthen stock in this area. I've recently found the FW contour barrels will shoot tighter groups if you add about 8 lbs. of forearm tip pressure under the barrel. This also almost eliminates forearm flex with a tight sling hold or with bi-pod.

The picture below shows my Savage 16 LWH in 7MM08 with Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 CDS scope, Burris Signature Zee rings and Weaver Grand Slam 2- piece bases (S46, S402). I also upgraded the cheap plastic trigger guard and grip cap to metal. Then used some Krylon webbing paint for added texture/camo and a custom look. Total weight of rifle with scope is 7 lbs. I've got it shooting consistent 0.5" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds. with hand loads (140 gr Berger VLD, Varget, 7mm08 Lapua brass, BR primers).

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0006_zpsdvcm1mct.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0006_zpsdvcm1mct.jpg.html)

dranrab
08-16-2016, 01:14 PM
That's a good looking and a good shooting rig! I am working on a 223 as I type. They are eligible for a $75 rebate. for the next month and a half.

dranrab
08-16-2016, 09:41 PM
I won the Gun Broker auction. $499 for a new stainless lightweight hunter in 223. I have a silver VX2 Leupold 3-9x40 in a box in the closet looking for a home. It'll be a while before I get to ring it out. Stand by.

jpdown
08-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Congratulations! That's a heck of a good deal. The Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 is a good match for your rifle. As noted above, I would upgrade to a metal BBR trigger guard and at least bed the recoil lug area and stock well area in front of the recoil lug. I use Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy from the local hardware stock. My observations are the plastic trigger guards are not strong enough to keep the rear action screw from flexing. I've even had the rear action screw loosen with recoil over time due to this issue. The barrel channel is plenty wide to float the 20" FW barrel. In 223 it should easily shoot sub 1" groups with the right factory ammo even with the synthetic stock due to the lower recoil.

dranrab
08-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Congratulations! That's a heck of a good deal. The Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 is a good match for your rifle. As noted above, I would upgrade to a metal BBR trigger guard and at least bed the recoil lug area and stock well area in front of the recoil lug. I use Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy from the local hardware stock. My observations are the plastic trigger guards are not strong enough to keep the rear action screw from flexing. I've even had the rear action screw loosen with recoil over time due to this issue. The barrel channel is plenty wide to float the 20" FW barrel. In 223 it should easily shoot sub 1" groups with the right factory ammo even with the synthetic stock due to the lower recoil.

Thanks for the info. Is there any certain BBR trigger guard that works with this rifle? What scope bases do you use? I bought the scope on closeout at Academy Sports 10 years ago for $129. I am a bargain hound! I have spend a lot of money saving money.

jpdown
08-17-2016, 06:41 PM
The Savage OEM metal bottom bolt release trigger guard is the new style trigger guard with the thicker front lip and hole in front to accept the BBR button. I assume you want the SS version. The "Trigger Guards SS RI - PN 105897" fits your Savage 16 LWH. You can order direct from www.SavageArms.com. Go to the Store - Partfinder tab. Put in the following serial number G901181 to pull up the schematics of a Savage rifle model that was released with a SS, BBR metal trigger guard. Click on trigger guard number and it will pull up the part for order online. You can also Savage Arms a call and order parts over the phone. Talk about "spending a lot of money to save money". LOL. Once you start tinkering with a Savage, it never ends.

dranrab
08-23-2016, 09:42 PM
I just got the rifle in today. Looks and feels great. About my only concern is that the plastic magazine latch seems flimsy. I have some ammo loaded up. Just need to settle on my rings and bases then mount the Leupold VX2. For $425 after the rebate, I am impressed!

jpdown
08-24-2016, 12:10 AM
I like the Weaver Grand Slam steel 2-piece base (S402 and S46) with medium Burris Signature Zee rings. Not the lightest combination available, but they provide give a solid, stress and damage free scope mount with the correct eye relief for shorter tube scopes. I use the posi-align inserts to adjust windage and elevation and keeping the reticle centered in the scope for best optical performance.

dranrab
09-02-2016, 10:09 PM
I got my Talley lightweights in and got the scope mounted. This thing feels perfect. I loaded up a nice variety of ammo. I can't wait to ring it out.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/PaulBarnard/Guns%20and%20Outdoor/KIMG0231_zpspyv7hpfu.jpg

dranrab
10-14-2016, 08:40 PM
I finally got it out to the range today. Its favorite load was 25 grains of Ramshot TAC pushing a Barnes 55 grain TTSX. I was shooting a lot of rifles, so I only shot one 3 shot group with that load. It measured .6 inches. I am going to love this little rifle. Interestingly enough, when I came back home my $75 rebate check was in the mailbox. $425 for this jewel is a bargain!

AKDoug
10-27-2016, 12:36 PM
I finally got it out to the range today. Its favorite load was 25 grains of Ramshot TAC pushing a Barnes 55 grain TTSX. I was shooting a lot of rifles, so I only shot one 3 shot group with that load. It measured .6 inches. I am going to love this little rifle. Interestingly enough, when I came back home my $75 rebate check was in the mailbox. $425 for this jewel is a bargain!

Thanks for reminding me. I need to go look in my box for the rebate offer. I picked up a 7-08 version with synthetic stock, topped it with a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3, and a quick adjust sling. All told it weighed out at 6.8 lbs.

My rifle is extremely sensitive to ammo at this point. Hornady Superformance 140 SST's were 3" at 100yds, Federal Fusion 140's were 2 3/4" at 100 yds .. I was about ready to give up at that point after checking everything over. Grabbed a box of Nosler 140BT factory rounds and shot 6 back to back 3/4" groups, then repeated it the next day. Back to the Fusions and Hornadys and still were shooting large groups. I guess the Noslers will be my hunting rounds since my reloading room is in the middle of a remodel.

Overall, for the price, I love this rifle. I'm going to bed the action and the chamber area later on. Hopefully with handloads this won't continue to be a picky rifle.

02sedona
11-29-2016, 11:15 AM
I got my Talley lightweights in and got the scope mounted. This thing feels perfect. I loaded up a nice variety of ammo. I can't wait to ring it out.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g157/PaulBarnard/Guns%20and%20Outdoor/KIMG0231_zpspyv7hpfu.jpg

What scope size and talley ring height setup is that? It is hard to find accurate measurements for talley rings. Thanks