PDA

View Full Version : Front action screw

twarren
08-15-2016, 07:49 PM
If the front action screw is a little loose how much will that affect the accuracy?

foxx
08-15-2016, 08:08 PM
probably a lot.
Why?

Robinhood
08-15-2016, 10:32 PM
When my front action screw gets loose I take it to a competent gunsmith so he get get one of those hex wrench thingy's on an inch lb tourque a majig doodads and fix'er up right.

jfksc
08-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Opinions vary about the need for a torque wrench to tighten your action screws. I've never used one and have no issues. Rifle shoots nice small groups. Nice and tight but not gorilla tight should be fine. Regardless of whether you tighten by hand or a torque wrench you'll want to verify your zero.

RC20
08-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Loose action screw would be major.

Gun smith not needed, nice and snug is good, if you are more comfortable with spec, get a Wheeler torque wrench. It pays for the trip to a gun smith!

Years back I replaced the power steering pump in my moms care 3 times. Yep, bad re-man, dealer not open on weekend. I had to pay $20 each time to a garage to get the pulley off as it took a special puller.

Monday I got the puller kit, only used it a couple of times but paid for itself.

m12lrs
08-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Fat wrench is a good investment for a Shooter.

Try 30 in/lbs

foxx
08-16-2016, 07:08 PM
me thinks Robinhood was just being a bit facetious.

Robinhood
08-16-2016, 08:20 PM

This is a Savagesmith thing.

I'm changing a barrel on my rifle what do I need?....Savagesmith

Texas10
08-16-2016, 08:29 PM
Have a torque wrench in your shooting bag and re-torque the screws before every shoot. If you're shooting several rifles, put a sticker on each with optimum torque setting.

Here's why you should torque. http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

That's my 2 cents, your milage may vary.

Robinhood
08-18-2016, 01:21 AM
Have a torque wrench in your shooting bag and re-torque the screws before every shoot. If you're shooting several rifles, put a sticker on each with optimum torque setting.
I wasn't going that far but, what he said.

FW Conch
08-18-2016, 06:48 AM
twarren, after many years with rifles, I broke down and got a "Fat" wrench, because I found one for a great deal on Jet. But most home mechanics get by very well without one. If either of your action screws come loose regularly, something is not right. Screw threads are worn, action threads are worn, not tightened down enough to begin with, or in the case of a wood stock with no pillars, the wood may be crushed to where it can't maintain consistent torque.

But as foxx said, a loose screw " will "affect Your accuracy a lot. Keep them tight.

RC20
08-18-2016, 02:11 PM

That simply never occurred to mehttp://www.savageshooters.com/images/icons/icon6.png