PDA

View Full Version : 6mmBR Prefit w/Short Freebore

Phil3
08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
I am returning to a project gun after a medical hiatus, but cannot find the barrel I need. Maybe someone here can help.

I need a 26" long, 1:13" twist, heavy varmint (~ .925" at muzzle), in 6mmBR, with about .038" freebore, to fit a Savage Target Action (large shank). Criterion has one reamer only, with .093" freebore. Shilen has one reamer with .098" freebore. Left voicemails with Pac-Nor, Short Action Customs, and Straight Shot Gunsmithing, but expect these last two to be very expensive. It is disappointing that Criterion and Shilen both offer very slow twist barrels only suitable for light short bullets, but then mandate a Grand Canyon size freebore forcing a relatively long jump to the lands. Anyone know of a prefit barrel that has a freebore of around .038"? This is the dimension that Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool & Gauge recommended to me for Berger 64 grain Column bullets and Berger 68 grain, both flat based, that I intend to use at 100 - 300 yards.

Thanks.

Phil

sharpshooter
08-15-2016, 06:02 PM
Most shooters using those bullets in a 6 PPC are using about .060" freebore. Standard C.I.P. spec for 6 mm BR Norma is .082" freebore.

m12lrs
08-16-2016, 05:45 AM
Most 6BR's are 8 twist for bullets in the 105 gr. Range

I feel sure bugholes could fix you up. Might take a little time though

Scott Evans
08-26-2016, 06:16 PM
The .093" freebore sounds like the 'CIP' spec reamer, and I can assure you its shoots the varmint bullets just fine on two rifles chambered with a JGS CIP 6BR reamer. Added plus is more room for powder = faster.

Had the same FB reservations and was considering a custom, the CIP is a stocked reamer at JGS and MUCH cheaper, glad I did it.

blvedere
08-28-2016, 10:54 PM
As I read Phil3 is looking to buy a 6BRPrefit with short freebore. Are we to PM him if we have something that might be of interest to him?

Iowa Fox
08-29-2016, 02:16 AM
I'm not sure about today but about a year ago Criterion said they would chamber a barrel with your reamer if sent to them. Of course you will have to have NSS in the loop. Not doubting Dave Kiffs knowledge but I'd sure see what the short range light bullet 6BR guys are using for freebore. If it's a winning chamber you can bet there are reamers out there.

Hotolds442
08-29-2016, 01:04 PM
As I read Phil3 is looking to buy a 6BRPrefit with short freebore. Are we to PM him if we have something that might be of interest to him?
To avoid rule violations, that is acceptable.