PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a smart man but I know what .30-06 is ................. BOLT ASSY HELP NEEDED !!

eli'sbook
08-14-2016, 09:16 PM
My son in law brought an old beat up rifle that was at one time his grandfathers gun, it is a Savage model 110E in Right Hand and it is chambered in .30-06 caliber. The old guy (I'm told) was afraid of the kids taking the gun out without permission so he hid the complete bolt assy and he passed away many years ago. They have searched the house and barn several times and still have had no luck locating the bolt.

I bought a bolt assembly off eBay for a model 10 in .30-06 but it will not fit, looks like there is a small flange on the bolt head that stops it for entering the gun.

I have two questions;

#1 - Can the bolt I have be made to work?

#2 - if the bolt I now have will not work - Does anyone have a complete bolt for this rifle and if so how much?

I'd like to surprise my son in law for Christmas this year but I'm on a tight budget (I'd love to swap off the bolt I bought as the guy off eBay does not do refunds).

foxx
08-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Try spinning the part with the small flange around to the other side (without removing it).

That part is called the front baffle. It will spin all the way around... it must be orientated with the "flange" on the bolt handle side, and bottom.

Robinhood
08-14-2016, 11:45 PM
The bolt also needs to be in the cocked position. This is an axis but the the mechanics are the same.
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=815&d=1351514480

Hotolds442
08-15-2016, 12:29 AM
The guy might not take refunds, but if he advertised it as a model 10 bolt compatible with the 30/'06 chambering, he misrepresented it because a Model 10 is a short action rifle, and all 30/'06 rifles are long action. Ebay will refund for misrepresentation whether the seller accepts refunds or not.

foxx
08-15-2016, 07:12 AM
VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

Even if the bolt works properly... you MUST have the head space checked by a competent gun smith after installing.

It is more than likely that the head space will NOT be correct after changing bolts. Re-setting the head space is not a difficult task, but it does require specific tools for the job and is critical it be done properly before firing.

sharpshooter
08-15-2016, 05:48 PM
The bolt will not go in because......it's an older model that does not have a guide fin cut in the receiver. Grind off the guide fin on the front baffle, and it should fit. If it does, be sure to check the headspace and adjust accordingly.

RC20
08-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Still have the issue is it long enough?

dbsavage
08-18-2016, 03:11 PM
If you run into a snag with trying to buy one, try Savage's part finder: https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/
Enter your serial number and it should pull all the parts for your rifle. They also list the part number. That way, if you don't want to order it from Savage, you can cross-reference that with Midway, etc. I just got off the phone with Savage yesterday about ordering a bolt body. Some items are listed as restricted to gunsmiths only, but if you call them, they can email you a Restricted Parts Waiver. That being said, in talking with them yesterday, they will only ship bolt heads to gunsmiths due to liability reasons surrounding setting proper headspace, which makes sense.
Good luck!

Hotolds442
08-18-2016, 10:58 PM
If you run into a snag with trying to buy one, try Savage's part finder: https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/
Enter your serial number and it should pull all the parts for your rifle. They also list the part number. That way, if you don't want to order it from Savage, you can cross-reference that with Midway, etc. I just got off the phone with Savage yesterday about ordering a bolt body. Some items are listed as restricted to gunsmiths only, but if you call them, they can email you a Restricted Parts Waiver. That being said, in talking with them yesterday, they will only ship bolt heads to gunsmiths due to liability reasons surrounding setting proper headspace, which makes sense.
Good luck!
Savage's parts finder doesn't go back that far.