PDA

View Full Version : New Build Not Extracting

ScottS
08-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Ok so I have put together my first build. I have a criterion lite varmint 300 mag barrel and I used Forster go/no go guages to set headspace. Keep in mind this the first time I have done this. When I put the guages in my bolt would not extract them I thought maybe it was just the guages so I put some cartridges in and it won't extract them either. The case just stays in the chamber. What did I do wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeS
08-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Are they not extracting because they are stuck in the chamber? Or are they not grabbed by extractor?

G

ScottS
08-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Are they not extracting because they are stuck in the chamber? Or are they not grabbed by extractor?

G

I don't think they are grabbed by the extractor because I can tilt the gun back and the cartridge falls out.

GeorgeS
08-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Check to see whether you lost the detent ball.

G

ScottS
08-14-2016, 03:12 PM
Check to see whether you lost the detent ball.

G

Well I didn't take apart the bolt when I set the headspace. Is that my problem?

DrThunder88
08-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Possibly. If you stopped screwing in the barrel before the gauge reached the bolt face, then it's possible that is the reason. I have set the headspace on almost all of my builds with the bolt head fully assembled. It hasn't been a problem, however I was always sure the gauge was snug against the bolt face and was extracted by the extractor.

ScottS
08-14-2016, 03:25 PM
I will take everything apart and try again

Thumper76
08-14-2016, 08:00 PM
When you try to close the bolt on the no-go gauge, will it extract it?

short round
08-15-2016, 12:31 AM
The extractor most likely did not go over the rim of go gauge, head space is excessive & needs reset.

ScottS
08-15-2016, 11:44 AM
The extractor most likely did not go over the rim of go gauge, head space is excessive & needs reset.

That is what the problem was, I took everything apart and put it back together and it worked fine.

GeorgeS
08-15-2016, 11:54 AM
:cheer2::thumb:

GaCop
08-16-2016, 07:27 AM
I love a happy ending! :becky:

DrThunder88
08-16-2016, 02:20 PM
I'm glad you tested it so thoroughly before firing that Win Mag! On the off chance the firing pin hit the primer, that could have been very dangerous.

ScottS
08-16-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm glad you tested it so thoroughly before firing that Win Mag! On the off chance the firing pin hit the primer, that could have been very dangerous.

No chance I was even gonna think about pulling the trigger unless I was confident it was put together right. Gonna try it out this weekend I can't wait!

GeorgeS
08-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Put it on a rest with a sandbag lying on top. Attach a long string to the trigger; load a round, back up as far as the string allows, then pull. :p

Robinhood
08-16-2016, 05:17 PM
I find that putting a primer in the case and trying it that way is a safe way to test fire a rifle. Take all that string and throw it in the brush pile.

Edit

Put it on a rest with a sandbag lying on top. Attach a long string to the trigger; load a round, back up as far as the string allows, then pull. http://www.savageshooters.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

GeorgeS
08-16-2016, 05:43 PM
I find that putting a primer in the case and trying it that way is a safe way to test fire a rifle. Take all that string and throw it in the brush pile.

How would that test for headspace issues?

Robinhood
08-16-2016, 08:15 PM
That was not the point of my suggestion. It was in reference to the post prior to mine using a long piece of string to test fire with a loaded round. JMHO but I would never test fire a gun with a loaded round that you aren't sure if the head space is correct.

But to answer your question, a light or no primer strike might be an indicator of poor head space.

Put it on a rest with a sandbag lying on top. Attach a long string to the trigger; load a round, back up as far as the string allows, then pull. http://www.savageshooters.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

How would this test for head space issues?

Moving the shoulder forward....Not in my rifle.

bodywerks
08-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Lucky for him it would never have hit the primer. I takes quite a bit of force to get a case behind the extractor. That's what the lead in chamfer is in the receiver for. In the op's case, it never had the opportunity to do its job.