PDA

View Full Version : "Savage" scope ?

Hammer
07-27-2010, 06:20 AM

We Savage shooters like our Savages for many reasons.

Savages are accurate. Reliable. Functional. Great field and range performance. Innovative. Erector sets. Lots of options both from the factory and for creative types. Can be readily made into 220 Swifts. Etc.

Savages also provide great value.

Some will accept that there may be better guns available, but at how much increased cost ?

Does anything come close to a Savage at anywhere near the price tag.

Many of us could afford guns much more expensive, but we like a gun that works so well and gives us a sense of pride in that it does it with such a reasonable price tag. Gives us a leg up on folks who blew their dollars.

What scope brand does the same ?

What scope brand provides the "Savage" performance at the "Savage" price ?

rjtfroggy
07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
Hammer at the expense of getting slammed, my answer to this is the SS from SWFA.
If you like a mildot reticule for $300 it is a scope that compares to $700-800 dollar scopes. Of course they have a few that cost more but for a fixed 6x,10x,16x,20x power scope that is crystal clear,repeatable,audible clicks and able to set your zero there is nothing on the market that even comes close.Plus they are rated and warranted for 50bmg, so I think they can handle anything our beloved Savages can dish out.

Stu
07-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I would hav'ta agree with rjtfroggy on the super sniper being at the top of the list. But, i would say that the Bushnell 3200 10x40 tactical has to share that top spot. I've had 4 of them over the years and still have 2 of them. They are durable, repeatable, have good turrents, with decent glass, and you can pick them up for under $180.00. If they had paralax adjustment they'd be alone at the top. ;D

kasperx01
08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
havent been on here in a long time but ill put this out there. konus illuminated mildot (gen2's both blue and red)
but heres a gen 1 i had on layaway till the gen2's came out so they(local gun shop) swaped me out. ill have my new setup paid off by oct some time.

http://www.konusscopes.com/product/KON7282

358Hammer
08-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Weaver has always done it for me. I have had a number of Burris scopes come loose as have friends have had the same problem shooting heavy calibers.

I have never ever sent a Weaver scope in for repair of any sort and they are very reasonably priced.

I have not bought one in several years so can not comment on current quality.

Neal

pdog06
08-01-2010, 10:24 AM
For an absolute great varmint/target variable scope in a I think it is hard to beat the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 for the price($459, unless you know a dealer and get it for $375). The glass is very bright and clear, the tracking is perfect, the turrets are crisp and positive, and has side focus. These scopes compare to VX3's, SIII's, Elite 4200's, etc at almost half the cost. They also have about the best warranty going, an unquestioned lifetime warranty.

For a lower end hunting scope that takes a beating I have had very good luck with the Nikon Pro-Staff scopes for around $150.. I have had them on deer rifles and 12-ga shotguns and have never had an issue with one.

Blue Avenger
08-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I think you should get a vintage "savage" scope. could hardly go wrong there!