PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing a used nutless Savage bbl

oldjad01
07-27-2010, 05:50 AM
A few months back I ordered a used Savage small shank bbl in 260. I don't know if I overlooked the fact that it has a shoulder on the bbl or the seller omitted it in the ad. Anyway when i went to install it this week I finally really looked at the bbl and saw the obvious short threading and the 1.2"+ diameter at the shoulder. I don't know how the bbl is going to shoot so I was hesitant to send the bbl off to have the threading done and the bbl recontured so I could mount it myself with a nut. I milled a stock Savage rifle lug to eliminate the thickness at the bottom of the lug, wound up with .174". I screwed in the bbl, adding enough shims between lug and action to get the correct headspace, needed .025". I was about ready to mill an aftermarket lug to .199", but thought i would see what thickness of after market lugs are avilable. Lo and behold Callahan makes one .200". It should arrive on Friday and I should be able to put it together. I tightened the bbl up snug (I never use the 100fp as some contend the factory uses) so can probably tighten it to pick up a .001" if my measurements are spot on. I can take off .001 if needed just using wet/dry on a pane of glass on the bench. Anyway I feel hopeful that it will work out just fine. I'll post how it works out. jimDee

Savagebien
07-27-2010, 09:00 AM
i think you will be fine it sounds like. for torquing on, you can figure for 30 ft/lb about 1/8 turn and .002" difference on hs. let us know about how it turns out.

Cover Dog
07-27-2010, 12:49 PM
oldjad01 welcome to the site. You will find a wealth of Savage info here. Everyone will help you in whatever way they can.

By the way, I purchased from you a Leica 1200 scan rangefinder several years ago from the 6mmBR site. It hasn't let me down.

Cover Dog