PDA

View Full Version : HB or regular?

lucky hunter
08-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I am looking for a new 223. I currently have a ruger american predator and its not cutting it. I want a gun thats very accurate, accutrigger style trigger, and lightweight. But I also want to be able to shoot all day with it and not have the barrel heat up (I get about 5 shots in my Ruger before accuracy goes way down due to heat). But want it light enough to hunt with so i don't want a full blown heavy barrel. Any ideas?

cowtownup
08-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Maybe you should try a medium contour... give a little bit of that lightweight up for a barrel that will fire more rounds before it gets too hot...

I deer hunt with a varmint contour barrel, but I'm not stalking, I'm just climbing up in a box stand and sitting...

lucky hunter
08-10-2016, 03:09 PM
This will be my target, woodchuck and coyote gun so I will be walking a fair amount and shooting free handed or off shooting sticks while hunting

pisgah
08-13-2016, 08:28 AM
My 'yote-hunting Axis is a standard rifle, except for the trigger modifications I performed myself. I've never fired 5 shots in a row at a coyote, so I don't know how heat would affect it. Seems to have no adverse effect when target shooting. It's lightweight and more than accurate enough for my purposes.

ohihunter2014
08-14-2016, 09:01 PM
the heavy barrel will be a little more accurate. I have both and my heavy shoots tighter. you don't need it though as shooting woodchucks and coyotes isn't fast paced shooting to heat it up.