PDA

View Full Version : Converting CRF to push feed?

dbsavage
08-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Hello all!
I'm new here and have a question regarding controlled feed v. push feed.
I have a 7mmWSM and it's a controlled feed bolt head. I'm looking to replace the bolt head with PTG's machined bolt head but I think their magnum bolt head is push feed only. Has anyone ever converted their CRF to a push feed? And if so, did you have any negative side effects? I'm thinking all I would need to do is remove the standing ejector that the controlled feed uses and make sure the bolt head has the ejector, etc., installed in it for it to work. Basically, the main reason for replacing it is that when I look at the bolt face, it doesn't look flat. It looks like there's some cupping or something going on with it, in particular around the firing pin hole.
Thoughts?
Thanks for the help!

darkker
08-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Savage could more correctly be described as: CRP, or Controlled Round Push :rolleyes:

I believe the firing pins are different, but it's been too long since I looked at my Leopard to give you a better answer. Believe you are on the correct path.

Robinhood
08-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Some camps believe that the cupping is desirable. I'm not that good. However the dish can be machined out.

J.Baker
08-11-2016, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about it as the minor amount of cupping really isn't hurting anything. It's basically a result of the media tumbling process Savage does to them to knock off the sharp edges (something PT&G doesn't do and as a result you have to file the edges of the lugs to keep them from catching and hanging up on the receiver when working the bolt). Also, the PT&G bolt heads have left a LOT to be desired in terms of fitment. Kiff's an exceptional machinist and a tool maker, but he's no gun guru and knows little to nothing about Savage's to know what he can and can't get away with as far as tolerances to ensure his parts will work in all the variations of Savage's made over the years.

That said, if you're that worried about the cupping on the bolt face just have a local machinist or gunsmith chuck it up in the lathe and take off just enough material to square it up. You'll need to check and possibly reset the headspace after doing so though, but you'd have to do that if you swap to a PT&G bolt head as well.

Zero333
08-12-2016, 11:09 PM
I thought Savage came up with this "Hybrid" controlled round feed because it's more reliable feeding short fat cases from a magazine than the push feed.

geargrinder
08-13-2016, 12:21 AM
I thought Savage came up with this "Hybrid" controlled round feed because it's more reliable feeding short fat cases from a magazine than the push feed.

Specifically, from the stagger feed magazines.

Once they went to the centerfeed they did away with the CRF style and went push feed on everything.