PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find info on bedding the stock of a Hog Hunter?

jamesp81
08-10-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm wanting something in .223 that's pretty accurate for paper punching and pest control / coyotes. The Hog Hunter catches my eye because I really like the barrel profile.

When I've handled these, the stock is simply atrocious. Flimsy and cheap. I'm pretty certain it will need a bedding job. I have the money to buy the rifle, and I've already got glass I can put on it, but I can't afford to pay someone to bed it for me. I'll have to do it myself. When it comes to shooting .223 I come from the AR world, where stock bedding is not even a thing, so it's new to me.

I have two questions.

1) Can I gain anything by bedding the cheap factory stock, and what can I do to stiffen it so the barrel doesn't flex into the stock when shooting from a bipod?

2) Where can I find some instructions on how to go about doing the bedding? Keep in mind I've never bedded a rifle before, so it will need to include beginner level stuff...

390fe
08-10-2016, 06:37 PM
FWIW, I have a Hog Hunter, and have gotten 1/3 moa with handloads, using the factory supplied stock and a bipod. No bedding necessary.

If you still feel the need to bed your rifle, youtube is full of instructional videos.

foxx
08-10-2016, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I agree with 390fe, and you. :)

It feels cheep, but unless you are using a bipod and loading it up pretty good, I don't think it's as bad, in reality, as it feels.

Nevertheless, I understand your desire to bed it and I agree it is worth doing in many cases, but not worth paying someone to do it.

As for fixing the flax, bedding won't do it. DOn't even try. Many have tried and generally they say it doesn't help the flex because it flexes around the recoil lug. Bedding does not help that and I have yet to see anyone show a method that does.

Best solution, I think, is to
1. try shooting it first, see how it really does as is.
2. replace stock with a cheap aftermarket like Boyds.
3. Bed the Boyds to prevent heat and humidity from changing accuracy.

jpdown
08-10-2016, 11:46 PM
For a hunting/carry rifle, the Savage SA, BM synthetic stocks are the lightest available. Unfortunately, the Savage Hog Hunter stock is a POS. It's not worth the time and money to try and fix. As noted above, many have tried without much luck. I recently purchased a Cabela exclusive Savage 12FV for a new PDog build. It is one of the best budget Savage SA, CF, BM synthetic stocks I've seen since buying my first Savage many years ago. The beavertail forearm has better reinforcement for stiffness with almost no flex. And since the beavertail forearm is wider and flatter, it has a more natural grip, rides range bags well and works great with a bi-pod. The 12FV stock is also a drop in fit for the Savage Hog Hunter action and heavy barrel since it already has a top/side bolt release inlet and the Heavy/varmint barrel channel.

If you become a paid member, you can most likely find a 12FV take-off stock for sale in the classified section or place a Want-To-Buy ad in the classified section. I would bed the action, recoil lug and the area just forward of the recoil lug to get the most accuracy potential with a Savage 12FV synthetic stock.

Other relatively inexpensive stock options are a Boyd's Gunstock. I also look for older Savage SA, CF hardwood stocks. Numrich Gun Parts has a number of discontinued/surplus Savage factory walnut and hardwood stocks for sale. The older Savage factory hardwood stocks are great replacement stocks for the cheap Savage tupperware. An older Savage factory hardwood stock, Duracoat paint, Krylon webbing and a bedding job gave made my Savage Hog Hunter look and shoot like a custom rifle costing much more.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y333/jpdowns54/PICT0005_zpsvsfglawi.jpg (http://s1027.photobucket.com/user/jpdowns54/media/PICT0005_zpsvsfglawi.jpg.html)

cobalt
08-13-2016, 07:29 PM
wow, bedding that stock doesn't seem worth it. Especially if you want to make use of the fore end for a bipod. Getting a used stock is a great idea. I just swapped my HH stock with a Bell and Carlson Medalist Tactical. The thing is built like a tank. Definitely heavier and not as handy, but so solid with no need to bed the action. I found getting a cheek weld with the factory stock and a scope to be impossible. This was probably the biggest impediment to accuracy for me with that stock. Next was, as you point out, the loading of the barrel by the rubber chicken like stock.

With the new stock, match ammo, 10x42 SWFA SS scope and not enough practice I was hitting 1.5" groups at the range yesterday (100yds).

Mozella
08-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Pick a Boyd's you like, get some Devcon 10110, a bunch of masking tape, etc. and do your own bedding. There are TONS of threads and videos on the Internet. Read as much as you can stand.

You might even get lucky and find the stock you need on sale at Boyd's for less than 100 bucks, otherwise expect to spend only $119. The stocks are light, strong, and come in a variety of shapes. Quick delivery too.