PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace trigger

ranger0787
08-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Hello all;
Could someone point me in the right direction? I have 2 x Savage model 10FP's. The earlier is an "F" serial number and the one with the problem. The "F" rifle is .223 Remington and used to belong to my dad. The original factory (non-accutrigger) trigger broke & was replaced by a rifle basix trigger. My problem is that the gun feels unsafe: If you briskly close the bolt on a loaded round, the gun fires. If you slowly & gently close the bolt, gun acts as it's supposed to. My dad's response was..."Close the bolt more gently"...not acceptable.

What recommendation(s) do you have for a great aftermarket trigger for match shooting. I know Jewell, Schillen, & Bix-N-Andy triggers are for Remingtons. What is the best I can use. The rifle is laser-beam accurate and I would like to go back to shooting Mid-Range at 600 yards again with it.

I contacted Effie Doscas at Savage a while back and was told to sell the rifle, Accutrigger could not be retrofitted to the "F" prefix rifle. I do not dislike the accutrigger. It works fantastic in 10FP #2 as a 308/260 Rem switch barrel to 1000 yards. I want something for match shooting without fear of accidental discharge.
Respectfully,
Doug

olddav
08-09-2016, 04:41 PM
If you can't adjust the existing trigger then SSS Competition trigger or Rifle Basix SAV-2.

keeki
08-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Sounds like it's adjusted down too low

ranger0787
08-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Yes, It sounds like that could be correct. But in several other match rifles with either Jewell's or Bix-N-Andy triggers set at 8oz, I've never had a dropped firing pin from an aggressively-closed bolt. Lost confidence.

keeki
08-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Rifle basix sav 1 doesn't go down below 14oz., if your getting 8 Oz from it, we know what the problem is

J.Baker
08-09-2016, 07:48 PM
Just because someone improperly adjusted it doesn't make it a faulty design. Contact Rifle Basix (or check their website) for directions on how to install/adjust it properly.

ranger0787
08-09-2016, 08:17 PM
Sorry, Let me clarify. My Jewells & Bix-N-Andy's go down to 8 oz. Not the Rifle Basix. Even with their light trigger pulls, no unintentional discharges with bolt operation. That was what I was saying. I don't think it's an issue of adjusting too low as once I close the bolt gently, still feels like 1.5-2.0 lbs. Just like my accutrigger on my other Savage.

fcp308
08-10-2016, 06:23 PM
I have the rifle basix trigger in my rifle. if the sear adjustment and/or pull weight adjustment screws are backed out too far the trigger will fire on bolt close. more than likely the sear needs adjusted. I adjusted mine all the way out and then turned it back in until it would not release in bolt close to get the lightest pull

foxx
08-10-2016, 07:28 PM
The RB Sav-1 is not designed to go as low as you seem to want.

The RB Sav-2 will, as will the SSS Competition trigger. Both are very good.

overthere
08-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Sorry, Let me clarify. My Jewells & Bix-N-Andy's go down to 8 oz. Not the Rifle Basix. Even with their light trigger pulls, no unintentional discharges with bolt operation. That was what I was saying. I don't think it's an issue of adjusting too low as once I close the bolt gently, still feels like 1.5-2.0 lbs. Just like my accutrigger on my other Savage.

Ranger, unfortunately there is no Jewell or Bix-N-Andy for Savage actions. The issue is with the sear, even with a SAV1, SAV2 or SSS trigger you can cause a slamfire if they are set low and the bolt is closed to roughly. Just the way it is unfortunately. One of the downsides of Savage actions. And they are great actions, and good triggers too, just not Jewell or Bix-N-Andy good (puts on flame retardant suit).