PDA

View Full Version : Savage Package Gun for Donor Parts??

juanvaldez
07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi Everyone

Been messing with savages for a few years but never owned any of the package guns. Is their any advantage to it over a stevens for a donor action? I want to make a 6.5x55 DBM and see the new packages are setup for DBM already. Will these parts fit a Savage LRPV Reapeater HS Precision stock? Also will the package gun take an accutriger? I've heard a savage short action will handle 6.5x55 so no need for a long action, can anyone confirm this?

I should also add...the stevens is 350$ vs 414$ for a package gun. I will be throwing the scope and ring on a 22 or selling them.

Cheers

hailstone
07-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Well a 308 Winchester is 51mm case length and thats generally on a short action. 6.5mmx55 might work in a short action but suspect you will be limiting yourself on bullet selection. For my 7mmx57 Mauser had too use the long action which is only 4mm shorter than a 30-06 but 2mm longer than the Swede. Maybe it would work if you load single shot fashion.

Read here on this forum someplace that the Accua-Trigger setup has couple additional milling cuts that are not made on the Stevens receivers. Myself I buy off the used rack for my receivers either discarding or selling the take off barrels. Last two were DBM rifles one short and one long action. Both were the package rifles so between scopes and barrels should get around $100 back per rifle from there sale. Makes the receiver, magazine and bottom metal fairly cheap doing it this way.

juanvaldez
07-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Well a 308 Winchester is 51mm case length and thats generally on a short action. 6.5mmx55 might work in a short action but suspect you will be limiting yourself on bullet selection. For my 7mmx57 Mauser had too use the long action which is only 4mm shorter than a 30-06 but 2mm longer than the Swede. Maybe it would work if you load single shot fashion.

Read here on this forum someplace that the Accua-Trigger setup has couple additional milling cuts that are not made on the Stevens receivers. Myself I buy off the used rack for my receivers either discarding or selling the take off barrels. Last two were DBM rifles one short and one long action. Both were the package rifles so between scopes and barrels should get around $100 back per rifle from there sale. Makes the receiver, magazine and bottom metal fairly cheap doing it this way.

I knew the accutrigger was tricky on the stevens but will the accutrigger fit on a package gun? Will the bottom metal and other mag bits work with stocks other then the savage tupperware? What did you use yours on?

Cheers

jpdown
07-27-2010, 12:36 AM
A package rifle is an excellent choice for a donor action. I just bought a Savage LA blind magazine package rifle
in .30-06 from the local Walmart for $420.00 which included a 6% sales tax. I got a luster blue finish, jewelled bolt and accutrigger without the added cost of a FFL transfer and shipping. Sold the scope, barrel and stock as new takeoff's. The final cost of the Savage LA with accutrigger was less than $250. If you are going to change out the trigger, then the Stevens 200 rifle might be a better route. I would also look into buying a stock action, or the action only from NSS, a site sponsor and vendor.

juanvaldez
07-27-2010, 06:37 AM
I already have a spare accutrigger

jpdown
07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't beleive the accutrigger will fit on a Stevens 200, or pre Accutrigger Savage without some modifications. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

tammons
07-27-2010, 11:15 AM
A savage has better bluing and an accutrigger.

I don't think an accutrigger will fit a stevens.
The SSS trigger is a much trigger better anyway.

juanvaldez
07-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Not these savages, they have no accutrigger, was wondering if they will take one

juanvaldez
07-27-2010, 12:36 PM
This is the model 111fcxp3. They are new production with DBM center feed but NO accutrigger. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these are milled to take an accutrigger or are the same as the stevens action.

juanvaldez
07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/111FCXP3

hailstone
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
"Read here on this forum someplace that the Accua-Trigger setup has couple additional milling cuts that are not made on the Stevens receivers." Quote from eariler post.

After examining several Accua-Trigger rifles with both old and new style bolt release against a Stevens Model 200 it appears possible. You would need one to compare too during the switch of triggers. There are some milling differences but that part could be modified (grind) for the milled clearance. Guess if you have a trigger already then your not out much to attempt the switch. If it works fine otherwise you just have to reinstall the old parts.