PDA

View Full Version : Has any one done a short barreled bolt action rifle?

travistodd1
08-08-2016, 11:40 AM
So I have a crazy idea I think I'm going to try. I wanted to get some thoughts on it.

I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 308 I ended up with on a trade. It has the 16" barrel and A2 flash hider. Its a nice rifle but I have a couple of complaints. Mostly the lack of aftermarket support for personalizing it to my needs. That being said, I love how it handles with the short barrel. It is very quick and nimble. The 10 round DBM is nice but they are a sloppy fit and the release is cumbersome.

I had thought about buying a Hog Hunter to modify but it just hasn't happened.

I was looking around on a certain auction site and came across a guy with some Striker 516 barrels for sale. It got me thinking a bit. I started looking in to the accuracy these guys are getting and was very impressed.

Here are my thoughts and am seeking some advice. Is there any reason one would recommend against mounting a 14" barrel with a 2" break permanently mounted on the end. That would keep it nice and legal but also very short. I would like a super-light brush gun for the back country. It will probably be magazine fed and in something like the M40 Bell and Carlson stock. It will not be a long range hunter by any means. That said, I spend time in the mountains where its not uncommon to come across brown bear and mountain-lion (not to mention the occasional illegal immigrant with a Marijuana grow.)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

gbflyer
08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Probably a fairly unpleasant muzzle blast but other than that there's no reason not to.

Let us know how it turns out.

travistodd1
08-08-2016, 12:22 PM
I've actually been looking at a 2 piece break for it. The one I like has a removable "sound forwarder" which screws on over the break. I ran one on a carbine a while back and it does the job well.

squirrel_slayer
08-08-2016, 01:23 PM
I have such plan slated in the back of my mind(have 3-4 barrels i'd like to have first). I think running a cartridge that compliments a short barrel would also be beneficial. but you know the correct answer right? its called hanging a suppressor on that brake ;) that will help direct that blast forward. I think a .338 federal, 35 remington or .358 winchester would be right at home in a short barrel with a pinned FH/brake. griffin makes taper mount muzzle devices and also sell the blast shields. a levang style brake would be a cheaper option.

travistodd1
08-08-2016, 01:38 PM
I happen to have a 16" 358 barrel I just picked up.... That's also going to get built soon but I am currently working on a 338 Edge build. I should be wrapping it up before long. I have another barrel sitting here that I need a long action for the build. Depending on what I come across for the action depends what I build next.

I really have been thinking about hanging a can on the end and have thought about mounting the appropriate QD/Break on the barrel. Not sure what I want to do just yet.

upSLIDEdown
08-08-2016, 01:39 PM
I have a 17.5" 308. It's STUPID obnoxious without a suppressor.

earl39
08-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Just to clear things up a bit. Are you talking about a 16 inch barrel or a 8-15 inch barrel. In the case of the 16inch or longer it is a short barrel but not a SBR. The SBR will cost you an additional $200 for a tax stamp, a long waiting period plus the reduction in weight will not be much over the 16 inch barrel. Other than the i want one factor a SBR is for concealment or tight quarters. Not much in reducing the load is gained and the striker is only as accurate as the barrel,load and shooter combination. Will one shoot good? No reason it shouldn't. Just remember not to put it together until you get your federal stamp. You also have local laws that might apply. Not sure about crossing state lines and if i am not mistaken you can not loan it out to a friend or family member unless it you have a gun trust and the friend or family member is part of the trust. Little more to the trust thing but that is the jest of it.

Maybe i should read better. I see where you are keeping it at 16 or longer.

travistodd1
08-08-2016, 01:58 PM
My 16" is pretty bad. My Sig 556 has a different break on it that will ring your bell if your standing to close also.

On on a side note, I wasn't thinking one day when I went out to shoot my 338 Lapua. I went to the range and noted some prick had left a bunch of glass and 22 brass on the ground. I decided to back my truck in and lay my mat out in the bed. Seemed like a great idea until I pulled the trigger and realized I didn't take the muzzle blast in to consideration. That really shook things up a bit.

squirrel_slayer
08-08-2016, 04:59 PM
lol yeah they'll rock you in confined area's. I touched off 1 round from my 16" .308 AR from the back of the suburban(was an ant issue for me). never again! lol and that was with a FH and the muzzle was clear of the bumper. those barn doors kept the noise in though. the local range is covered and quite a good ways up (id say at least 15') and even a comped .223 will rattle the roof and tickle your face. did get to shoot an AR30 in 50bmg and man what a blast! just don't stand in line with the brake. I was walking down the line looking at what everyone had on the tables and was greeted by gasses to the face when someone touched off a round from it. was like getting slapped in the face with a wet towell! good times. it was a full auto/nfa shoot. bring your own factory ammo and you get to play with their toys.

I think that 16" .358 is a perfect host for your plans. have someone cut it back and thread it. or there's always the option of milling a brake or compensator ports into the barrel, which is a clean look and just may be perfect for your needs. running heavy for caliber loads may also help keep the blast down (as there is less powder used)

travistodd1
08-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Earl39, I plan to make sure its a total length of 16" with the permanently installed break, or whatever device I end up with. I certainly don't want to end up on the bad side of the feds, those guys don't have a sense of humor.

keith1
08-09-2016, 12:45 AM
I have a 14 inch 308 XP100 in the original plastic pistol stock. It shoots good and produces good velocity but it sure is loud.

Regards, Keith