PDA

View Full Version : Axis HB vs standard barrel for 243

calstar
08-06-2016, 09:52 PM
New member here. Going to pick up an Axis 243, will do the usual mods(trigger, restock, pillar and bed, etc). Is the HB model inherently more accurate or is it pretty much still determined more by individual barrels, HB or standard(i.e. a one particular standard better than one particular HB). It will be used for varmints and target, so carrying the extra weight is not a problem. I'll probably get the HB for the few bucks more it cost($30+-) but thought Id check in here first, see if anyone has first hand experience with both. Other than a .22 I had as a kid this will be my first Savage, I can't not try one given the value and almost all good reviews.

thanks, Brian

pisgah
08-07-2016, 07:33 AM
While there are theoretical advantages to a heavy barrel, there are no actual inherent accuracy advantages. An accurate barrel is an accurate barrel, be it light or heavy, and I have seen many instances where a light-barrel rifle outshot the same model of rifle with a heavy barrel. Without doubt, a heavy barrel is stiffer, and this can be an advantage -- or not. It also heats up more slowly, which can mean better accuracy over long shot strings -- or not. Unless a hunting rifle is going to be used for something like prairie dogs, where long shot strings can occur, or used exclusively from stands, I'll opt for an accurate light barrel any day simply for ease of carry.

I will also say that in 50 years of rifle-tinkering I have seen at least as many tackdrivers turned in to mediocre shooters by the "usual mods" as mediocre shooters turned in to tackdrivers. Relatively simple and inexpensive trigger mods and load development usually produce just as much accuracy improvement as a full-house job.

wbm
08-07-2016, 08:05 AM
It will be used for varmints and target, so carrying the extra weight is not a problem.

As far as accuracy goes I agree with Pisgah. I have had as many accurate sporter weight barrels as heavy barrels. Right now I have an Axis heavy barrel in 243 and a sporter weight in 243. The heavy barrel is better for target and the sporter better for field use. Is one more accurate than the other? For three shot groups no. The heavy barrel takes longer to heat up but it also takes longer to cool down. I would go ahead and get the HB myself

calstar
08-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys, pretty much what I was thinking. Since this won't be a "carry" hunting rifle I'll get the hb. This is my first 243 as well, had/have calibers below and above it, looking forward to shooting, reloading for and doing mods to it.

Brian

Edit: Just pulled the trigger(pun intended) on a new Axis HB $239(plus another $30 off for a mail in factory rebate) on Gun-broker, pretty fair price. I understand the Axis hb is being phased out, that motivated me to get one while dealers still had a few left.

swamphonkey
08-08-2016, 10:24 AM
While there are theoretical advantages to a heavy barrel, there are no actual inherent accuracy advantages. An accurate barrel is an accurate barrel, be it light or heavy, and I have seen many instances where a light-barrel rifle outshot the same model of rifle with a heavy barrel. Without doubt, a heavy barrel is stiffer, and this can be an advantage -- or not. It also heats up more slowly, which can mean better accuracy over long shot strings -- or not. Unless a hunting rifle is going to be used for something like prairie dogs, where long shot strings can occur, or used exclusively from stands, I'll opt for an accurate light barrel any day simply for ease of carry.

I will also say that in 50 years of rifle-tinkering I have seen at least as many tackdrivers turned in to mediocre shooters by the "usual mods" as mediocre shooters turned in to tackdrivers. Relatively simple and inexpensive trigger mods and load development usually produce just as much accuracy improvement as a full-house job.

That's about the best answer you can get and lots of truth to it. My daughter has a 20" barrel stock axis youth mod 243. It is a FREAK! It shoots WAY faster than any other 243 we have and if it is not putting every bullet inside 3/4" at 100 yards its the shooters fault. Its one of the best shooting barrels I've ever seen and it came on a 300$ rifle. I'll never get rid of it. I don't even shoot it much because it's so good with Interbonds and hornady GMX bullets I don't want to burn it out we only hunt with it now.

calstar
08-08-2016, 11:58 AM
....Relatively simple and inexpensive trigger mods and load development usually produce just as much accuracy improvement as a full-house job.

Couldn't agree more, this is the way I've started work on all my rifles in the quest for better accuracy and will do so with this one. After i've worked up a few decent loads for this rifle(I believe the Axis 243 is a 1 in 9.25 twist but Ill check again)Ill consider which and in what order additional mods will be made. If any of you have pet loads for your 243s please send the data my way.
I should add I'm a big guy(6'10", 250lbs) with big hands, stock mod or restocking is mandatory for me to have something that fits and doesn't feel like a youth rifle, not just doing the work just for the sake of doing it.

thanks again,

Brian

deaddeerwalking
08-10-2016, 08:35 PM
My .243 loves 95 grain nosler ballistic tips with imr 4350 just a touch under 3k fps

bowhunt
08-16-2016, 12:36 AM
My Axis loves 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over top of 40.5 grains of Varget, seated .005" off the lands. Around 3300 fps out of my barrel. This combo has produced several 1/2" groups at 300 yards.