PDA

View Full Version : First bedding job

acdame
08-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Ok I have the devcon kiwi nuetral shoe polish and the lamp rod for pillars. First question is how do you keep the epoxy out of mag well and trigger well?

Nor Cal Mikie
08-06-2016, 09:05 PM
"I" do the bedding in two parts. Pillars secured to the action. Action screws treated with release agent (Kiwi) just in case. Action and barrel shimmed and centered in the stock. Do the pillars first. Do a dry run, a couple of times so you are confident about what you're doing. Go slow. No one is watching you!! Mold release the bottom of the action. (real good!!)
Stuff paper or clay around the upper part of the pillar where it meets the action. Bedding should be thin enough that it will pour in and around the pillar from the bottom. (like pan cake batter) The clay or paper towell stuffed around the top will keep it from running out all over the places you don't want it to. After it sets up, (24 hours if you can wait that long) pull the screws out, pop out the action and see what you got. It ain't rocket science and again, no one is watching you so take your time, clean up any slop over. Masking tape around the area you're going to be bedding.
Once you're happy with the results, go back and bed the rest of the action. Once the action is bolted in, no one can see it. May not look like a professional did it but it's done. You can always go back and touch up any bad spots to make it a KILLER JOB!! After that, each and every job will get better.

Texas10
08-07-2016, 06:53 AM
These are quit handy to have for this job. Once you use one, you'll never attempt the job without one.

http://www.deltaintl.com/sealants/Sealant%20Smoothing%20Tools.html

Use to apply your epoxy and to take up the squeeze before it cures. Works like magic!

Fotheringill
08-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Crayola clay (available at all crafts stores) to fill up areas to prevent ooze intrusion. It is messy to clean up after bedding but effective.

And don't freak out if you can't separate the barreled action from the stock. There are ways to separate them.

rbp75503
08-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Take a look on u-tube. There are a lot of how to's there. I recently documented a 6BR build in the My Build area. You can find it here http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?50694-6mmBR-Build

Make sure to fill all voids with a clay type material. I used plumbers putty. I used neutral kiwi polish and Brownells release agent on all areas that I did not want the epoxy to adhere to. After placing the barreled action in the stock I used WD-40 saturated cotton swabs to remove the epoxy oozing up along the action sides.

It took awhile to find it on my computer, but following is a checklist that I use to make sure I do not make a false step.

q Bedding Action to Stock Instructions

q Rough up stock in area of bedding

q Acetone stock metal to remove varnish

q Tape trigger slot

q Tape stock

q Fill voids with plumbers putty

q Putty Action

q Place tape on lug. 2 layers on muzzle side, 2 layers on side and bottom.

q To keep epoxy out of pillars place tape and Kiwi polishon action bolt plugs to create tight fit.

q Place tape on action bedding studs, kiwi polish.

q Polish with Kiwi neutral polish action, barrel and puttiedareas.

q Using Q-tip Kiwi polish inside of pillar areas.

q Additionally spray release agent on Stock Bedding Studsand parts, and action bolt plugs

q Spray release agent on action and barrel

q Place action plugs in action bolt holes

q Mix and apply bedding mud (JB Weld)

q Install barreled action and hand tighten bedding studnuts

q After bedding studs tightened use WD-40 and swabs toremove excess mud

q After 3hrs elapsed time clean and score with Exactoknife around action sides.

q If mud is set at 11hr elapsed time, tighten action withwrench bedding stud nuts to break action from stock.

q Remove stock bedding studs and action should breakfree.

q Clean up.

Reddawg
08-11-2016, 02:36 AM
going to do my 1st bedding job on older model 110. should I take the box magazine off are just tape it and put kiwi around it and puddy in the gaps between mag and action. If removing it. How? it has a trigger(?)/release lever on the rear of mag. Don't want to get stupid and break something on it. If I bed the rear pillar it won't be completely surrounded in wood. Will be wood surrounding it on the bottom but then it will be open one one side (towards trigger).Can I just put bedding compound between pillar and stock that will have wood partially surrounding it. Also the trigger mechanism will prohibit me using a pillar (Brownell adjustable) unless I notch the pillar. Will I benefit from bedding rear pillar? Benefits out weight the risk since it won't be completely encompass the pillar? Also is it advised to remove trigger mechanism or just tape, puddy and kiwi (release agent).I know a lot of questions but don't want to screw the ol gal up...Thanks...Semper Fi

Benmuncie
08-11-2016, 07:54 AM
I have been using play doh. It's cheap and cleans up easily. I agree with Nor Cal Mikie... Take your time and do some dry runs before you use epoxy. You will do fine.