PDA

View Full Version : Paart of brass stuck in chamber

Ranger3
08-06-2016, 10:50 AM
I had a new and unpleasant experience yesterday I fired my 223 Remington and sounded OK when I opened the bolt only a half inch of the brass came along with it so now the rest of it stuck in the chamber not sure how I go about removing it. I'm assuming you have to remove the barrel to remove the rest of the brass.

rjtfroggy
08-06-2016, 11:01 AM
No do not remove the barrel. Go to Brownells and buy a broken case extractor for 223, or whatever other caliber you may need.
All you do is place in chamber close bolt then open it and the case will come out. Do not use anything else because they usually don't work, ie: over sized brush, cleaning jag packed with patches or any other home made remedy.
Cost of the proper tool used to be around $10.
If you are in a hurry your gun smith more than likely has one.

http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=broke+case+extractor&ksubmit=y

shagerott
08-06-2016, 11:05 AM
Larry Potterfield has a video showing some different things you can try.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=78&v=bDYx5-1AZdk&ebc=ANyPxKoriSXpPUOHKrNsrY1Fm6P2Y_cAzbKiWYpavTu2r4 FZGnG3AXb-8s-gtGVUSDsP--sGq3JFgcLOng6lXc2G8V8mvuNdlw

bsekf
08-06-2016, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the world of case separation. Probably got your shoulder bumped back too far and your headspace is wrong. Measure your loaded ammo, and then your chamber. Ammo should be 0.001 -0.002 shorter. Much over that = case separation.

Usually a oversized bronze brush shoved into the case will pull it out, but I agree, there is a tool for the job, check Midway and Brownell's.

Bill

earl39
08-06-2016, 12:05 PM
If you have one you can try a bore snake pulled from muzzle to breach.

Robinhood
08-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Reloads?

Iowa Fox
08-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Don't fret its easy to get out. Just pull your bolt out and take a brass brass on your rod that is bigger than the case. Push it into the case and it should come right out. I've never had one of mine that did not fail to come out with this method. Also watched a lot of guys I shoot with do the same, not once have I seen a fractured case fail to come out easily. Improper head shows up in this mode of failure on the first few firings. The guys I shoot with get this with worn out brass 10 plus firings.

yobuck
08-07-2016, 03:30 PM
A well used 6mm brush will/should work as has been stated. You might even try a 22 cal first, but be sure to go all the way thru before
pulling it back. Lesson learned, keep a rod or a bore snake handy at all times.