PDA

View Full Version : palm swell area

chetc
08-06-2016, 09:46 AM
i am curious about which stock feels better shooting off the bench, i have felt the Boyds Pro varmint, better than the Choate tactical, but maybe someone who has the Bell & Carlson model 2997 stock, the grip area seems like it would be more comfortable, has anyone tried them to compare. i am thinking of the B&C 2997 and hoping it might be what i am looking for.

Chet

yobuck
08-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Some of the benchrest stocks aren't necessarily designed with that in mind. How they perform is more important than shooter comfort.
Id be looking for something in wood, and shaping it to suit. You can also build up the area with body putty and then paint the stock.
Some very nice stocks started life as a standard factory sporter design.

FW Conch
08-06-2016, 10:11 PM
I found my B&C 2997 palm grip to be too fat. I worked it down to fit my palm & thumb. I also dropped the heal 3/4", dropped the comb 1/2", and reshapped the cheek rest. The stocks that fit me perfectly are the Ross Thumbhole's, like Stocky's & Boyd's sell, so I duplicated that fit and feel on the B&C.

If a stock is labeled varmint or tactical, it has to be "rough as a cob", cause "we tough"! ;-))

chetc
08-07-2016, 09:59 AM
I found my B&C 2997 palm grip to be too fat. I worked it down to fit my palm & thumb. I also dropped the heal 3/4", dropped the comb 1/2", and reshapped the cheek rest. The stocks that fit me perfectly are the Ross Thumbhole's, like Stocky's & Boyd's sell, so I duplicated that fit and feel on the B&C.

If a stock is labeled varmint or tactical, it has to be "rough as a cob", cause "we tough"! ;-))

HI FW Honch

curious, when grinding off material to make the B&C fit better, how did you manage to get the web finish back, or did you buy a solid black one, would you happen to have a pic of the modded B&C stock, when you said you duplicated the fit of the Ross thumbhole, did you do the thumbhole also to the B&C stock

Chet

ps i did try a Boyds pro varmint stock at a local range, i did find that palm swell area a bit bulky, anyone been down the road that has tried the boyds pro varmint vs the B&C 2997, is the B&C a smaller feeling

FW Conch
08-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Deleted Post

FW Conch
08-11-2016, 08:18 AM
chet: I wrote a book about this last night, but lost it before I hit the Post button :-((

I don't have the rifle with Me right now, but I'll try to pull up some pictures from the archives.

My BC 2997 is a camo color. I sealed the exposed fiberglass with polyester resin as a gel coat. I masked off the area and painted it with green camo paint.

Rather than a thumb hole, I ended up with a "thumb notch". Grip feels great.

Good Luck...Let us know how it goes :-)