PDA

View Full Version : chassis vs conventional stock

keeki
08-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Thinking of doing a build using a chassis. Was wondering pros and cons of the chassis, never really used one. What I have is a staggerfeed long action blind mag and didn't see a lot of options in chassis for that action and was wondering how much pain was involved in using the chassis with a drop box. Any suggestions?

keeki
08-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Anyone?

swadiver
08-03-2016, 08:04 PM
I can't answer to the magazine issues, but i have two XLR Industries Element chassis with Savage Target actions and Criterion barrels. they both a great shooters and it's a simple drop in replacement, no bedding required. Ergonomics with the XLR's are great. lotta bang for the buck with these chassis

Rick_W
08-03-2016, 08:20 PM
I've not used a chassis but have been researching them for a Steven 200 action that I've had for a few years.

The Stevens would be the same as a Savage stagger short action with 4.275" screw spacing. All long actions, center and stagger feed, have 5.062" screw spacing.

The MDT (http://mdttac.com/) TAC21, LSS, LSS-XL, and HS3 systems as well as the McRees (http://shop.mcreesprecision.net/main.sc) Precision G5 and G7 systems are pretty much all I can find for long actions.

keeki
08-03-2016, 08:31 PM
What I was thinking was i know the staggerfeed and the centerfeed bolt spacing is the same, but the mag cutout isn't the same. Is it not enough difference to matter?

Rick_W
08-03-2016, 09:29 PM
I don't know. I would shoot an e-mail to the chassis manufacturer you are looking at and ask. That might also give you a little more confidence in buying from a particular manufacturer.

Steelhead
08-03-2016, 09:38 PM
I've ran both.
Theres a kinda smooth feel that stocks give and a chassis is like mold able clay that you form to your needs.
Im happy with and prefer the chassis now.
Love my XLR element.

Robinhood
08-03-2016, 11:52 PM
The Stevens would be the same as a Savage stagger short action with 4.275" screw spacing. All long actions, center and stagger feed, have 5.062" screw spacing.

Just to clarify, not all Stevens 200's are stagger feed

Rick_W
08-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Just to clarify, not all Stevens 200's are stagger feed
Which Stevens are center-feed?

LoneWolf
08-04-2016, 04:13 PM
I ran a Chassis for a year. I tried about 4 different bipods and a few stock configs, but in the end decided it wasn't for me. When it came to precise shooting or group shooting there was always a vibration and noticeable movement in the crosshairs that I could not get rid of through swapping parts or rear bags. So I went to a McMillan A5 and haven't looked back. I was running an XLR Elment, but I believe if I try out another chassis it would have to be one of the MPA variants.

BroadSide
08-04-2016, 05:51 PM
I love my XLR Carbon chassis for my LRP.

One thing to consider is how does the scope mount? Integral rails to the chassis (like some of the MDT) may not retain zero as well, especially after you remove the action from the chassis. Also, the type and cost of compatible magazines. What are the various the stock options and can they be to the LOP you need. Another thing is size of the hand guard and it impacts optics/mounting method. With a 20 moa rail and a 50mm objective with sun shade and the rings I ahve, the tip of my scope is really close to the hand guard. This does not let me use a cover up front.

But the chassis is lighter, super configurable, etc.

keeki
08-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the info. Been tossing going to a chassis around in my head for a while. Sounds like the only true benefit over a quality conventional stock is not having to bed, a few rail options and the cool factor

BroadSide
08-04-2016, 07:02 PM
For me the chassis fits better than most stocks. Plus the things you mention

keeki
08-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Which would be the best chassis option for the price. All things considered, stiffness, ease of scope mounting, weight

BroadSide
08-04-2016, 08:00 PM
I like the XLR evolution but I bought an XLR carbon just cuz I like the look better. For the price though the MDT LSS is one of best bang for the buck but I think they aren't attractive at all. Their "hunter version" is nice.

However I found MDT had short LOP for most of their systems except for LSS.

The AI chassis is mid priced IiRC but hard to find

Newsshooter
08-07-2016, 11:36 PM
I'd say XLR and Mcree are the best bang for the dollar. I have two Mcree's I like the adjustability and not having to add bottom metal to use AICS mags. Bought them both used for $450, both are folders.

swadiver
08-08-2016, 08:38 PM
I ran a Chassis for a year. I tried about 4 different bipods and a few stock configs, but in the end decided it wasn't for me. When it came to precise shooting or group shooting there was always a vibration and noticeable movement in the crosshairs that I could not get rid of through swapping parts or rear bags. So I went to a McMillan A5 and haven't looked back. I was running an XLR Elment, but I believe if I try out another chassis it would have to be one of the MPA variants.

everyone's experience is different but, i have not seen any of what Lonewolf is describing, here are some results with my Criterion barreled .308 in the XLR Element chassis. all 5 @ 100

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06535_zpsrkqfjxgt.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06488_zpskueiusn7.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/swadiver1/DSC06481_zpsdiwilbzh.jpg

keeki
08-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Nice shooting

swadiver
08-10-2016, 07:20 AM
thank you sir

hafejd30
08-10-2016, 05:15 PM
I have used both. Currently own 3 chasis amongst my rifles. I love the chasis but it all comes down to preference. Does the rifle shoot better with a chasis compared to a properly set up conventional stock- no. Anything like the McMillan A5/adjustable choate tactical etc have the same benefits as far as adapting to the shooter. Most stocks like that come "just the stock" then you add bottoms metal to use AI mags and you are to or past the cost of the chasis, without the "cool factor" which is what pushes some people to a chasis.

I run mcrees on my rifles and love them. Very adaptable/folding stocks etc which are nice for cleaning the rifle. I've never had a McMillan but have used similar style stocks and loved those to. It all comes down to what you like. I don't shoot any better with either and in some cases I think the conventional stock works better for "all around" shooting. Depending on how the chasis is set up. My chasis are set up for prone shooting and are a bit unnatural when used for hunting from a blind etc. due to the palm swell AR 15 grip