PDA

View Full Version : Poachers and Trespassers?

swamphonkey
08-03-2016, 07:54 AM
This is the deal My neighbor has asked me to lease his place and manage it for timber and game. He is not a Hunter and is not a outdoors person. I've been after him for years to turn his place over to me because every year his place becomes the "drop off place" for dog hunters to cast dogs in and for poachers to sneak in. Everyone knows for 25 years he has not let folks hunt it. Well That's all about to change. I got it now and am putting up posted signs And new gates now. But when I catch folks in there and I will should I be a straight Di(# or give a warning the first time? I live on the track next to it so I don't want to come home to a burned down house. But I am not the type to take crap.
Should I just whoop up on their head or call the law which ain't going to do crap because they know the ones doing it ain't got no money.

yobuck
08-03-2016, 09:41 AM
I believe permission is required regardless, even on non posted private property.
But certainly signs on every tree as some do, and gates on all access points should solve the warning issue.
The other issues brought about by the signs and gates will be ongoing, and will require someone unconcerned
about their personal popularity to enforce the rules. Could be you've grabbed a tiger by the tail.

Xm185
08-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you know the different types of people that hunt there. I always say 1 Chance then after that well it all depends on how fast the officer can get there. Just make sure you post it. And in MN if you don't have it posted every 500ft it will not stick in court

Monkeymaster
08-03-2016, 08:35 PM
Well,
First off good luck.
In my state, landowners have the right to see the huning license of someone on their property, and it is legal to "retreive" downed game, unarmed, that comes to rest on property you do not have permission to hunt.
So, what i have done, twice in the last 5 years, is to simply go up to them, explain who I am and ask why they are there.
Then I ask to see their hunting license, I then take my phone, and take a picture of their license, then I take a picture of them, and then I simply state, this won't be tolerated again, and if found on my property again, the law will be brought in for them to deal with it, and I have pictures to present to the police.
Now, 1 of these times a 20 something said he was "trailing" a wounded deer with no shotgun, no blood on the snow, and he said he would leave the way he came in and I never seen him again, and the other was a 50 something man, who had shot a deer, that ended up 15 yards on my property. He was not happy that I did what I did with the camera, but I had to point out, that he had a LOADED 12ga 870, on my property, and that legally, he was wrong to bring that onto my property without my permission. I have seen this gentleman several times since then, and he is nice as pie, as am I to him, no shinanigins since.
The best part about this, is the word got out that I was taking pictures of trespassers, and it seems to me, there is less issues all together.
?
Again, good luck.

keeki
08-03-2016, 09:06 PM
I believe in permission to hunt someone's property, but why would you tell them no? I come from a farming background and own land and have never told anyone that was a legal hunter that they couldn't hunt. We may give them rules, but we don't tell the that hey cant. I'm a hunter and outdoorsman and I appreciate ppl who are and if every landowner posted their ground, no one would be able to hunt except the landowner

Robinhood
08-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Purple paint on all of the trees facing the road.
http://www.geocachingaustin.com/_/rsrc/1327609320621/reference/purplepaint-texasnotrespassingmarking/4e6837dec3aac.image.jpg

mwells72774
08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I believe in permission to hunt someone's property, but why would you tell them no? I come from a farming background and own land and have never told anyone that was a legal hunter that they couldn't hunt. We may give them rules, but we don't tell the that hey cant. I'm a hunter and outdoorsman and I appreciate ppl who are and if every landowner posted their ground, no one would be able to hunt except the landowner

Around here, no is the standard answer. Not sure why. Most folks are lawyer shy and don't want to be sued for petty stuff that isn't their fault, is my guess. There's even tracts that go unhunted for generations.

Monkeymaster
08-05-2016, 09:24 PM
keeki,
Thank you for letting others hunt.
In some instances, the parcel is too small to let others hunt safely, and when deer hunting, too much pressure will push them out completely.
I happen to have 40 acres, I also have 2 boys and a girl who hunt, along with my father.
We bow hunt, and shotgun hunt here in Iowa, and I can tell you, the quality of the hunt goes completey to sh_t, with too much pressure.
It is all we can do, to not hunt too much, where the deer get us patterend.
Again, thanks for letting people hunt, I appriciate that, I really do.
Swamphonkey, some trail cameras may deter some people, even "fake" ones, ie broken ones from e bay,ect.
Goog luck

keeki
08-05-2016, 09:27 PM
I totally agree when there is just not enough room

fr3db3ar
08-08-2016, 08:37 PM
http://www.geocachingaustin.com/_/rsrc/1327609320621/reference/purplepaint-texasnotrespassingmarking/4e6837dec3aac.image.jpg
Most people will deny knowledge of this or honestly won't know. I've never heard of this before now.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
08-08-2016, 11:07 PM
It has been law in Texas for a long time. Several other states as well. Check your state to be sure.

psharon97
08-08-2016, 11:57 PM
For my folks it's a safety issue. I hate to say, but many of the farmers have to paint the word "COW" on their livestock so reckless hunters don't shoot the livestock. We've also had an issue with trespassers hunting with their firing line pointed straight at my folks' house.

This video will help illustrate many of the hunters' shooting strategies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk4gfYwV3qM

swamphonkey
08-09-2016, 11:09 AM
P Sharon You are right they are dum as a no brained donkey. I've seen it all in 30 years managing land. I have no local friends they think I'm a jerk because I won't let them or their kids use my properties for ATV tracks or shooting ranges or dope growing spots or a place to run dogs on. How dare I spend my time and money on land and not let them Dump trash or poach all summer on it.
I just wanted to get a idea of what different folks think.
Now these are the kinds of people that don't even live around here they come out here drink and drug and steal and are up to no good. And You can ask them all day to stay off your land and the next day they are back.

sha-ul
08-10-2016, 11:16 PM

Same thing in Kansas, Purple= Hunting by written permission only