PDA

View Full Version : upgrading a 10FP 223 on a budget

SafetyThird
08-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I recently bought my first savage, a 10FP in .223 varmint barrel 20" with a serial of G124***. It has the accutrigger but a very lightweight, seemingly hollow, stock and a staggered blind mag.

I'm looking to upgrade this on a budget into my first short/medium range target rifle. First thought is to changeout the stock, possibly for a Boyd Tacticool or similar, to give a bit more weight and solidity. As I'm in the UK, options are limited and generally expensive. However, I might be coming to the US for a couple of weeks later in the year and so I'm thinking about picking up whatever bits I need to make the upgrade and bring back with me. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the tacticool stock or others in the budget range that might be suitable. Budget for the stock is probably around $200.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to convert the staggered blind mag to a detachable mag. A 10 round mag would open up a number of competitions that wouldn't be possible with the blind mag due to reloading speed. If I'm buying a new stock, would I just need the appropriate bottom metal and a mag if the stock is already designed for a detachable mag or would there still need to be a fair amount of work on the stock to make everything fit? Searching on this site, most conversions seem to be for centre feed mags rather than staggered.

I'd like to replace the stock bolt handle to something longer to give a little additional clearance around the scope, which is a bit chunky. I'd welcome suggestions for something again on a budget that would be suitable. I can hunt through google but it's always good to get recommendations from people who've tried these things. It looks like swapping the bolt handle is a pretty simple option so I'd like one that is a direct changeout rather than having to send the handle away to be modified as that's not going to be possible on the time scale I'm in the US for.

Many thanks for the help.

Rick_W
08-02-2016, 04:48 PM
For stocks on a budget I would also look at the Bell & Carlson Medalist series.

Yes, you can convert a blind mag to a detachable mag - but there's not really a way to do that "economically". The best way for me is to order a stock that is already inlet for the bottom metal of choice. Most (if not all) chassis systems are set up for detachable mags and accepts AI mags. These are not inexpensive, though - starting in the $500 USD range.

drybean
08-02-2016, 07:35 PM
I Would contact CDI they are advertise here , getting it the UK my be a problem

SafetyThird
08-03-2016, 05:11 AM
I Would contact CDI they are advertise here , getting it the UK my be a problem

Thank you, just been through their site. If I bought a Tacticool stock and had it shipped to them, with the bottom metal they make and free fitting this year, it would come in at around 400$ with a couple of mags. If I post it back to myself in the UK, that's reasonably affordable and will make a great target/tactical comp rifle.

Looks like a good plan.

SafetyThird
08-08-2016, 04:53 PM
and that plan's out. Apparently you need an export permit to take a stock back to the UK, which won't be easy and, if I try to be sneaky about it, I could get into trouble. Guess I'll just have to pay for something in the UK.

Newsshooter
08-09-2016, 03:54 PM
The cheapest way would be to find a cheaper chassis system, bottom metal is built into it instead of needing to add it.

SafetyThird
08-10-2016, 02:40 AM
I'll take a look at those, though in the UK none of them are cheap, we just don't have the range of choice that you do in the US.

762Armo
08-10-2016, 04:27 AM
The cheapest way would be to find a cheaper chassis system, bottom metal is built into it instead of needing to add it.

What are the cheapest options for this route, which chassis/brands should be looked at? I'm not too familiar with all the chassis systems. I really like XLR, but can't justify the price at this time.

FW Conch
08-10-2016, 07:24 AM
I'm looking for a chassis system that cost less than My most expensive build :-((

Newsshooter
08-10-2016, 11:58 AM
What are the cheapest options for this route, which chassis/brands should be looked at? I'm not too familiar with all the chassis systems. I really like XLR, but can't justify the price at this time.

I'd say XLR and Mcree are the most inexpensive, buy used instead of new, as they're aluminum and while you can scrape some paint off of them it's pretty hard to hurt them. Manner or McMillan stocks with bottom metal are more money.

MDTcorp
08-12-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm looking for a chassis system that cost less than My most expensive build :-((
Have you checked the MDT LSS or MDT HS3? :)

FW Conch
08-12-2016, 07:46 AM
^ You have a great product at a very reasonable price, relative to other chassis options. ^

Just that, when everything I would want is added, it would exceed My weight desires and My price range. And, My level of shooting can't justify that kind of investment.

However, when investigating the options, the LSS is very appealing to Me. That would be My choice if My needs should change.

Best Wishes to You & Your Company :-)

MDTcorp
08-12-2016, 10:51 AM
^ You have a great product at a very reasonable price, relative to other chassis options. ^

Just that, when everything I would want is added, it would exceed My weight desires and My price range. And, My level of shooting can't justify that kind of investment.

However, when investigating the options, the LSS is very appealing to Me. That would be My choice if My needs should change.

Best Wishes to You & Your Company :-)
Sounds good. Call us anytime if you have any questions!

Tokimini
08-12-2016, 10:55 PM
For stocks on a budget I would also look at the Bell & Carlson Medalist series.

Excellent stock.

SafetyThird
08-13-2016, 05:09 AM
Looks like my only option now, on a low budget anyway, is to keep an eye on the Boyd's sale page and wait until a suitable varmint stock goes into the sale at $99 or less. Apparently, anything under $100 doesn't need an export license and they can ship it to the UK.

Robinhood
08-13-2016, 01:20 PM
Have you tried Brownells UK?

(http://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=14529&ViewAction=ViewFaceted&FacetValue_CategoryID=14529&CurrencyID=GBP&CurrencyID=GBP&FacetRange_ListPrice=&FacetRange_ListPrice=&FacetValue_PreDefString_en_2390542=Savage+Arms)