PDA

View Full Version : Middle of a build... decision to make

Phranque
07-31-2016, 02:13 AM
I'm currently in the middle of my first real build.... I've got an old model 10 .308 that I picked up used a number of years ago & have shot the heck out of it. Earlier this year I picked up a new .308 10T from Cabelas, with the intent of doing a build on the old girl. I've decided to convert her to a 7mm-08.... she's already sitting in an XLR Element, just ordered a Shilen barrel yesterday, and I hit Brownells last night for a barrel vise, go no-go gauges, etc.

Something I got to thinking about, which leads to my question... I'm not sure just how true my old bolt face is with so much use, nor do I know how to check it, so I was thinking about picking up a new OEM bolt head and putting it on. I figured that would give me a fresh face to headspace off of, would be cheaper than having a smith true the old one, and would be a LOT faster to install a new one vs waiting on a smith. My issue with this decision is that I have some beautifully naturally lapped lugs on the old head... a good 95% on both sides.

Would you go with the new one, or keep the lapped lugs & have the patience and spend the few extra $ to clean up the old face? I can hear some of you asking "why not just lap the new lugs?" Personally, I'm kinda against this practice... It's forcibly attempting to accelerate a naturally occurring process, which if not done correctly, can really make matters worse, and I'm of the opinion that naturally lapped lugs are going to be truer. I'm all for saving a few extra bucks where I can, but I'm willing to spend it where it's worth it, so the money is definitely not a deciding issue on this one....

So, what's your guys' opinion?? Am I too concerned about keeping the lapping, or just go with a new head and start over? Or how do I/can I check the old face myself to see if it's still in serviceable shape & I'm carrying on about nothing??

Here's a pic from a couple months ago. Picked up a few AICS compatible Magpul mags since then.... They work awesome, and I got tired of that metal POS scratching up my brass.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t93/phranquey/savage%20bench%201_zpsmrpz6ddw.jpg

strut64
07-31-2016, 06:23 AM
I have put together a few savages with new barrels. Unless your bolt and bolt head were ever abused or neglected, I would feel confident in using it> one of the issues you may see is leakage around primers and pitting of the bolt face> But if it is going to be in the back of your mind a new bolt head is a modest investment>

GaCop
07-31-2016, 06:51 AM
Actually, the floating bolt head doesn't need truing. One of the pluses of the Savage platform.