PDA

View Full Version : barrel choice for the 80gr

chetc
07-30-2016, 09:37 AM
looking to get some opinions on a new prefit barrel in 223 remington favoring the 80gr bullet, few questions i have are, i see there are a few different chamberings, such as 223 match chamber and the 223 wylde ect, which would be the best chamber for bench shooting the heavy bullets. 7 or 8 twist. barrel length, 28 or 30 inch, looking into a barrel that has a proven track record for barrel life and accuracy, is a cut barrel a better choice over a button rifled.

Chet

GaCop
07-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Go with the match chamber in 1/7" twist. I have no experience with cut rifling barrels but have heard numerous times they can be a bit more accurate than button rifled. I have no accuracy complaints with the button rifled barrel I've used for my builds. Shilen, McGowan, CBI, etc, are all good barrels. Bartlein and Pac-Nor are a step up and cost more. Unless your going to compete in bench matches, I think you'd be happy with the first three I mentioned.

chetc
07-30-2016, 12:15 PM
hi GaCop

competition is 500yd 4" steel plate or 3" at 425yds i have shot both with Savage 1-9 twist 26" varmint guns, averaged more hits at the 425yd 3" plate with the 75 Amax, that was 3 weeks ago, still messing with my gun recently as to why i have lost my accuracy, can't put my finger on it yet, thanks for your input on the barrel selection, any comments on the length, going to see how much more the Pac Nor's are, i have a Brux on my 6.5x284 that is so accurate that i have it stored in my safe for a good day, 67 rounds thru the barrel, last time out 15yrs ago it shot under 1/4" 3 shots at 200yds with a much younger experienced shooter, brux was a good barrel back then, the gun was built by a well know gunsmith without the barrel nut.

thanks
Chet

Robinhood
07-31-2016, 12:57 AM
When chambering you either go with what works with everything or what works for your intended purpose. An accuracy focused smith will stock a good reamer or have a reamer cut to his specs to use with your intended purpose.

Mozella
07-31-2016, 02:29 AM
This doesn't answer your questions directly, but it might provide you another data point. I shoot Berger VLD 80s very well from my Shilen 26" 1:7 twist barrel, or at least well enough to win my share of local 600 yd F/tr matches. However, it won't shoot the VLD 90s consistently enough to use them in competition, I believe mostly because the barrel is too short to launch the VLD 90s fast enough with getting too crazy with the powder charge weight. So I've got a longer barrel on order.

But in testing, the existing barrel will give me reliable 1/4 MOA performance at 100 yards using the VLD 80s.