PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED MY 6.5x284

NW Hunter
07-30-2016, 12:28 AM
I have a stock 6.5x284 116 Weather Warrior with Accutrigger and Accustock. It would shoot an average of .6' groups at 100. It would shoot an occasional .5' group. Then it would shoot a 1.5" group.

Long story short, the barrel was backing out and would go loose. I would usually find this when I would clean it. Hotolds442 torqued it once, I torqued it another time and my gunsmith torqued it for a third time when he threaded the barrel for a Musclebrake.

Three different people, the same result. I now believe that because an Accustock recoil lug is not pinned to the action, it never seats tight to the action not letting the barrel, recoil lug and action lock up to each other.

I ditched the Accustock and bedded a B&C Medalist to the action. Hotolds442 gave me the urging I needed to change the stock out. It took some grinding with a dremel to free float the action in the aluminum rail and tang before bedding with Devcon.

Broz over on Longrangeonly.com beds his recoil lug tight with a single layer of masking tape on the bottom surface only.
It has worked well in my 300WM for long range and I want to try it again.
My gunsmith at JBeagle Rifles couldn't believe I could shot good groups with this method.
His thinking was the recoil lug would try to shift when the barrel got hot.
I told him you don't let it get hot ( just kidding Jon).

I then decided I wanted to upgrade the barrel. I contacted Dennis at My Accurate Barrels.com.
He had Jim at Apache Gun Works spin me a Criterion 26" with an Apache Savage Sporter contour.
Jim throated it for Hornady ELD-X 143 grainers.
I mated the barrel to the action with a SSS pinned recoil lug.

I am going out in the morning for break-in and load development with Retumbo again. I will post targets when I can.

PS- I believe I got one of the last barrels through Dennis before he had to close his site. He was great with all my questions.
I know Dennis is going through something major in his life. I don't know Dennis' particulars, but I want to extend to Dennis a " Hang Tough Buddy".
You are respected and loved by our shooting community.

Randy

RC20
07-30-2016, 10:33 PM
Keep the reports coming. Agreed on Dennis, I got a XC barrel from him a few weeks before the problem, not sure if Jim did all the work but I think so.

He was great to work with and I wish him the very best. Hate to see good people with problems, save it for the bad ones.

Hotolds442
07-31-2016, 06:58 AM
Good to hear you're back in business, hopefully it works better than plan A did. I also upgraded to the B&C on the .338, but haven't had a chance to put it through its paces. I need to get it on the bench soon, Fall bear seasons for both Oregon and Washington opens Monday.

RC20
08-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Funny story some years back I bought a brand new bike (I have been peddling to work as much as I can the last 25 years). Real leap cost wise as we were pretty broke, but the old one had fallen apart, I had to ride a bus or bike so we bit the bullet as only one auto. Nothing fancy but a good mid level mountain bike.

The 3rd day things got weird on the crank, hmmm, nut came loose. Ok, down to the bike shop, I guess I should have been suspicious as they had a hair dressing op on one side, 3 foot wall and the bike shop on the other. Only in Alaska. I had the tools but it was, this is weird, never had a crank assembly nut come loose.

Watching him he did not realize it was a revers thread, hmmm, this is not good, very studiously ignored me as I tried to coach him.

Next time it took 2 days to loose up, I tightened it myself and then loose again, back to shop.

I think the 3rd of 4th trip he looks at me and says "You peddle bike wrong!" Really? Can you show me the right way?

At that point it was, give me a new bike or my money back. He gave me my money back (wrote a check and I went down to their bank and cashed it!)

To this day I wondered what in the hell you could screw up on a bike crank nut or the assembly that would cause it to loosen up. Something pretty strange.

NW Hunter
08-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I finally got some targets to post. Unfortunately, I can't find out why I can't post attachments. Do I need to ask for permission?
Randy

6.5x284 6.5x284 085
6.5x284 6.5x284 084

Hotolds442
08-07-2016, 10:44 PM
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?16607-The-ultimate-guide-to-posting-pictures-so-easy-a-caveman-can-do-it!

NW Hunter
08-10-2016, 11:39 PM
http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/nwhunter1/library/?view=recent

I couldn't get the Hornady ELD-X 143's to shoot, but I found a Berger Hunt VLD 140 load at .050" off the lands CBTO to shoot a .248" gropup at 100 yards.
58.0 grains Retumbo, Fed210 primer, Lapua brass necked with a redding 291 bushing.

Unfortunately, I have to tear down the rifle to send back the barrel. When the "6.5" was stamped on the breech end of the barrel, it got too close to the chamber mouth. This caused the chamber mouth to be pushed in slightly creating two pinch points on the brass. Brass does not want to extract. I have to bang on the bolt to open the action.:disgust:

RC20
08-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Phew , just is not letting up on you

NW Hunter
08-14-2016, 11:41 PM
That's cool, it will only make me stronger...right?

I emailed Jim at Apache and he responded immediately.
Jim said he will take care of the problem.
I sent it back USPS Priority Mail Saturday.

I like the balance of this hunting rifle and it will be a shooter for sure.

The good news I did receive is that I got drawn for a Washington state Quality Buck permit
In the West Klickitat unit at Thanksgiving time.
I should have the rifle dialed in and verified at long range no problem!
Hoping to run into the buck of a lifetime....as much fun to shoot as it is to eat!

Dennis
08-27-2016, 07:54 AM
PS- I believe I got one of the last barrels through Dennis before he had to close his site. He was great with all my questions.
I know Dennis is going through something major in his life. I don't know Dennis' particulars, but I want to extend to Dennis a " Hang Tough Buddy".
You are respected and loved by our shooting community.

Randy

Keep the reports coming. Agreed on Dennis, I got a XC barrel from him a few weeks before the problem, not sure if Jim did all the work but I think so.

He was great to work with and I wish him the very best. Hate to see good people with problems, save it for the bad ones.

Thanks for the kinds words from both of you.

UPDATE: Jim (Apache) and I are going to lunch next week. Jim is pretty busy right now. RC20, Jim is the person who built your barrel.

Things are looking better, Jim and I both like the system we worked out earlier this year.

I don't want to go into much detail, but we should have and are planning on having a very productive meeting next week.

I will say, while your making everyone else happy, MAKE sure you look at yourself and also take care of yourself as well.

We will be in touch with everyone when the time is right, which should be pretty soon.

Again, thanks for everyone's help and support.

Dennis

blvedere
08-27-2016, 01:10 PM
Dennis, Never got the chance to thank you with your help with my problem with scope eye. But am happy that the results turned out as good as they did, could have been better , but thanks again, you are a stand up guy. Hope things go well for you. Bob

NW Hunter
08-27-2016, 05:47 PM
I got back my barrel on Tuesday from Jim. He milled .005" off the breech, turned the chamber for clean up and restamped the breech.
It looks good. I am loading for it now and hope to get out to shoot soon. Thanks for the speedy return Jim!

Dennis
08-27-2016, 06:03 PM
Bob, thanks, I will try to give you a call next week. I know I am going to be busy, but on the way to Jim's, I will give you a call.

Jim (Apache) is a great person and machinist as well. I am glad I am close to him and consider him a great friend.

But were all human, we are going to stumble at some point. The great thing I can say about Jim is he will go to all lengths to make sure everyone is pleased. He has a great track record, and builds great barrels. We will both go out of our way to make sure we have done everything we can to make you happy.

In fact, after the water goes down a little more, I have a few new barrels Jim built for me that I have to dial in. I know they will be tac drivers.

If I can help you, PM me or email: 6brx(@)cox.net

Dennis