PDA

View Full Version : new barrel

arcticfern
07-29-2016, 03:52 PM
I just picked up a Savage 110 .223 Rem, the gun is in rough shape. But I will fix that. I would like to put a new (well new to me) barrel on, thinking 260 Rem. First off is that even possible? Second, can someone point me in the right direction for the barrel. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I am going to sand and stain the stock myself, the trigger is good and so is the bolt and bolt group. I'm not stuck on getting a 260 Rem, that is just preferred, but for the right cost I can go with any chamber.

Thanks,
Arcticfern

RC20
07-29-2016, 04:50 PM
Lowest cost barrel would be E Arthur Brown kit. I believe 260 should work as its long action and 06 based.

You should get the Action Wrench from NSS, its setup for this type of work with some specific features for the Savage.

rjtfroggy
07-29-2016, 05:07 PM
You need a .473 bolt head which means you need to change the one you have and if it is truly a 110 that part may be hard to find because you have a long action and 223 is a short action.
If it were me I would rebarrel with either a 223 or one of the 223 based wildcats.

Hotolds442
07-29-2016, 05:13 PM
You need a .473 bolt head which means you need to change the one you have and if it is truly a 110 that part may be hard to find because you have a long action and 223 is a short action.
If it were me I would rebarrel with either a 223 or one of the 223 based wildcats.
Totally wrong. The 110 223 bolt head is the hard one to find. The .473 bolt head for the 110 can be readily found since every 110 chambered in 30/06 or .308 and their offspring has one.....

arcticfern
07-29-2016, 05:21 PM
So now I'm confused...yes I'm good? E. Author Brown is my best option, money wise?

rjtfroggy
07-29-2016, 06:26 PM
Hotolds my brain knew that but my fingers would not cooperate, it is tough to get old.
Buying and selling not allowed out of classifieds, so don't ask.
Just go with a 223 or one of the variants then it is just a barrel swap.

darkker
07-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Here is your clear answer:

You currently have a 223. That bolt head will need to be swapped-out to the "standard" bolt-face of 0.475". This bolt head works with 90% of all cartridges, IE. 308, 270, 30-06, et al.

IF, and we need more info, IF you truly have a standard long action (110,111,112); Then change the barrel, and the bolt face and you are good to go.
IF, you have the intermediate action, or Short action, then you MAY(I've seen both ways) need to remove the magazine length restrictor and get a new follower. The restrictors are essentially a folded piece of sheet metal, that limits the magazine length to the 223.

Barrels: EABCO, or ER Shaw are both inexpensive and very nice barrels. Shaw directly, or I got a smoking deal from Gun Shack on a heavy stainless Creedmoor barrel a bit ago.

sharpshooter
07-29-2016, 07:38 PM
If it was born a .223, it has a .223 magazine and the short magazine cut no matter what length action it is. Changing to a short action caliber that requires a standard .473 bolt face will need a complete magazine for that caliber. The .223 magazines are narrower, and will not work by simply changing the follower and knocking out the spacer block.

RC20
07-30-2016, 12:14 PM
So now I'm confused...yes I'm good? E. Author Brown is my best option, money wise?

Per Darkerr, the ER Shaw or the EABCO (the kits are nice as you get the wrench as well)

If you are only doing this once, then a gun smith might be your best bet. You sound uncertain and while not complex, it does need very good attention to the details when doing it.

Possible to hook up (barrel wise!) with someone in your area that does this.

Tool wise the minimum is going to be $120 or so.

You do need a removal device in addition to the wrench for the nut on the barrel (40?) , best as far as I am concerned is the NSS (70)(I looked at them all).

While there are other ways to hold it a vice is good, it does have a handle and with some manipulation you might lay it on a bench and do it.

You need a 3/4 inch wrench for the bolts, Sears or even Hardware made in China is good enough.

You should also have the go no/ go gauges for setting the barrel (55) l. That is the single biggest aspect and you don't want to go wrong.

I am an experience mechanic and I saw the other ways of doing it, I was just as happy to buy the gauges and not get into a learning curve.