PDA

View Full Version : Savage Target Accutrigger

pahoghunter
07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Has anyone had to replace the target trigger? Last week at the range for the first time I couldn't cock the trigger I took it home and readjusted it, if I get below 15 oz. its not reliable. I'm the 3rd owner and I put over 3K rounds through it, I've replaced the barrel. I'm also starting to get primer cratering and the occasional pierced primer, I was never at max. load now I'm having go back off the loads to stop the cratering. I think its wearing out?

darkker
07-28-2016, 05:45 PM
That isn't uncommon with the Accu-trigger line-up.
From the few I had, they are VERY soft material with a very thin surface hardening. So it wouldn't surprise me if you have worn into the softer substrate.

Robinhood
07-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Pierced primers are usually associated with one of two things, The easiest to check for is a worn out or over sized firing pin hole. the other requires altering your load and observing the results with a chrono.

RC20
07-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Two issues. Trigger and the firing pin (most likely)

Depending on use and or abuse from previous owner certainly possible on the firing pin, that should be relatively easy to fix.

Trigger, seems nature of the beast and can you live with 15 oz? I have had some issue with my varmint at 1.5, tweaked it up a bit and ok. Good for me but then that's me.

Fotheringill
07-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Mine goes down to 6 oz. but I shoot with 8 oz. Bench pal has same rifle (same age 2 years old) and if he goes below 12 oz., he locks up.
What does Savage say about issue?

pahoghunter
07-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Mine goes down to 6 oz. but I shoot with 8 oz. Bench pal has same rifle (same age 2 years old) and if he goes below 12 oz., he locks up.
What does Savage say about issue?
Only that they would be glad to look at it, then call me with a quote.

RC20
07-29-2016, 04:53 PM
There is an armorers video out on how to dissemble the trigger (whole gun, I have borrowed from our library a couple of times) . If worn parts with an authorizing to Savage you may be able to buy those parts yourself

Otherwise when said and done with cost to ship to Savage, you would be better off with aftermarket at that point.

Those are probably better, acu trigger if it works is good enough for me but if its a cost trade off then different story

rjtfroggy
07-29-2016, 05:12 PM
As for the primers it is probably a chipped or broken firing pin.
As for the trigger new parts are available from Savage if you sign a waiver.

pahoghunter
07-29-2016, 06:30 PM
As for the primers it is probably a chipped or broken firing pin.
As for the trigger new parts are available from Savage if you sign a waiver.
Firing pin is fine i took the bolt apart, to clean it.

darkker
07-29-2016, 06:42 PM
You didn't give any details about the load, but as a previous caller suggested. It's typically a mis-adjusted firing pin, or an over load.
The "half-drops" with the trigger is just Salvage QC.

pahoghunter
07-29-2016, 07:06 PM
You didn't give any details about the load, but as a previous caller suggested. It's typically a mis-adjusted firing pin, or an over load.
The "half-drops" with the trigger is just Salvage QC.
The load is mild 69gr Sierra and 25 grs of Varget or 25.1grs of Reloder 15 CCI & WIN. primers. i believe the firing pin hole is the problem.

Fotheringill
08-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Be careful with Savage- As soon as you tell them you hand load, they may say you caused the problem.

pahoghunter
08-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Be careful with Savage- As soon as you tell them you hand load, they may say you caused the problem.

I've been through that with Savage before, they told me "we do not manufacture guns to shoot reloaded ammunition". How many people buy a Target action and use factory ammo?

RC20
08-01-2016, 12:14 PM
They all say that, so, while no longer policy for the Armed Forces, Don't Tell and Lie if Asked is the way to go!

I think there actually is one competitor out there out of the top 100 that does use factory ammo!

On the other hand, a guy had a brand new gun, gave me his brand new once fired cases, sorry I did not look, smoke coming out around the primer (that I had never seen before) Something seriously wrong there.

darkker
08-01-2016, 03:39 PM
The load is mild 69gr Sierra and 25 grs of Varget or 25.1grs of Reloder 15 CCI & WIN. primers. i believe the firing pin hole is the problem.

So I assume that is in 223? Velocity will give you a good idea of whether or not its hot or mild.
At least hodgdon, the load range for Varget is 24-26. So that powder isn't ideal for that bullet. With such a tight window, don't expect that load to be "mild". Powders have a lot variance of 10%. They don't list the lot number tested, so it is unwise to assume you have the same stuff and load by the numbers.

Cheers