PDA

View Full Version : Mags to run in XLR Chassis

DenverDave
07-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Just found out my XLR element is going to be shipping out today! Time to order some mags. It take AICS type mags, I am on a budget so looking at Polly options. I have found MTD and Magpul 308, 10rd mags for around $40. Can anyone tell me how MDT / Magpul mags work in the XLR element?
Or suggest a place to find good deals on mags?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneWolf
07-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Metal mags generally (in my experience) are more tunable as you can bend the feed lips to change the height of the round in the mag and ease feeding. The plastic mags can be filed and you may get lucky and have it work great with or without adjustment, but if you file it to far that's it! Buying 1 AICS or Accurate mag may be better than 2 Plastic mags!

On another note I have not messed with the poly mags because of my feelings stated above, but that was one of my biggest issues in getting the Savage action to feed and cycle reliably from a magazine. It is also possible to file down the mag release if the magazine is sitting too high, but again there may be some tuning/fitting to get all the parts to work together.

DenverDave
07-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Just ordered a Magpul 10rd for $39 off ebay. Gonna see how it runs. I have heard good things. If it's not doing what it needs to do then I will invest in a steel mag. $80-90 for a magazine just seems crazy to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelhead
07-28-2016, 10:02 PM
In my XLR Element I run AICS mags, metal Ruger scout mags(from accurate magazine) and magpul 7.62 AC mags.
All work quite well.

Onewolf
07-29-2016, 02:54 PM
It's my understanding that in general the metal mags allow longer COL than plastic/poly mags. If that matters to you. I'm running a 284 Win in a SA so it matters to me. :)

BroadSide
07-29-2016, 04:23 PM
I have had zero issues with PMAGs in my XLR Carbon.

Newsshooter
08-07-2016, 11:46 PM
I have AICS, Alpha Mags, double stack single feed, Poly mags are MDT, and Magpul. AICS work the best, Alpha mags feed well but expand and get hard to insert if loaded with 10, they're fine with 8, I'm thinking of putting the seekins bottoms on them to help. MDT do the same thing work fine with 6 rounds, but get sticky over that amount. I have one Magpul and it works great, I'm going to pick up a few more. This is in a Mcree chassis, the MDT's wont insert easily in accurate mag bottom metal even when empty.

Phranque
08-09-2016, 09:53 PM
I recently picked up a few 10rd Magpul 308 mags for my XLR Element chassis, and I love them.