PDA

View Full Version : What to do? 25-06, 7mm-08, 308, 338-06, or 458 win mag

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
07-29-2016, 01:22 PM
Well I'm sorry I lost you. So ill ask why you just don't use your current 300 wsm for the longest shot?
And use the 7/08 or even a 243 on the up to 600 yarders?
Id frankly be using the wsm for everything, and if I were hell bent on building another, it would be bigger not smaller than that one.

rjtfroggy
07-29-2016, 05:22 PM
If you want a 1/4 bore why not the 250-3000 savage or a AI version both usually shoot like a laser.

n10sivern
07-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Well I'm sorry I lost you. So ill ask why you just don't use your current 300 wsm for the longest shot?
And use the 7/08 or even a 243 on the up to 600 yarders?
Id frankly be using the wsm for everything, and if I were hell bent on building another, it would be bigger not smaller than that one.

I typically use the 7mm-08 for 100-500 yards and 300wsm for 500+ yards. My wife and kids shoot the 243's and 6.5x55's although I hunt with the 6.5x55 occasionally and would easily shoot to 500 with it.

Robinhood
07-29-2016, 11:58 PM
'merica

psharon97
07-30-2016, 12:54 PM
You already have most everything you need for standard rifle cartridges. How about something like a 338 Norma Magnum?

bearcatrp
07-30-2016, 10:44 PM
I would say quit pissing away money on another build and enjoy what you have. Spend the money on a better scope or something else. Your covered!

swamphonkey
08-03-2016, 09:54 AM
I'd say don't shoot 1,000 yards at game. And if you want build a rifle build another 6.5x55 or 708 they are probably the best rifle cals for our part of the country. And they shoot as far as you should be taking shots. All this long range fads are fine And dandy for shooting steel and paper. But a 1100 yard shot on a 5 year old buck across a plot is totally different. The longest shot I've personally seen was over 800 and was taken by a retired Marine sniper who had all the proper equipment and knew the exact range and on dead wind. It was taken with a custom built rifle with a 2,000$ scope And from a rock solid rest and I still to this day would not let any other client try a shot like that. But that guy was the best shot at long range I've ever seen. And he shoots at least 5 shots a day every day at his range from 500 to 1000 yards. And he even said he would never have took that shot if there was even 10 mph of cross wind.

n10sivern
08-03-2016, 11:39 AM
I don't shoot long range at deer. I do however shoot long distances at hogs. We are inundated with them and they are a nuisance and a disaster. Only good hog is a dead one. I think I'm just gonna hold onto the receiver until I come across a deal on a barrel that I can't live without.

swamphonkey
08-03-2016, 12:37 PM
I don't shoot long range at deer. I do however shoot long distances at hogs. We are inundated with them and they are a nuisance and a disaster. Only good hog is a dead one. I think I'm just gonna hold onto the receiver until I come across a deal on a barrel that I can't live without.

I think that's smart. And I completely understand hogs. But I have a love hate thing going with hogs. I hate them in my food plots and eating all the feed but I love hunting them And eating them.

n10sivern
08-03-2016, 12:51 PM
I love pulled pork and I love shooting hogs, but I could do without them. We planted 13 acres of soybeans, sunflowers, and Sunn hemp for the deer. It's all destroyed by the hogs.

swamphonkey
08-08-2016, 10:47 AM
I love pulled pork and I love shooting hogs, but I could do without them. We planted 13 acres of soybeans, sunflowers, and Sunn hemp for the deer. It's all destroyed by the hogs.

Put dogs on them. After deer season start running them with hounds. I've found they don't like dogs pressuring them especially at night
I'm running all week this week at night. Hopefully we can get them run off by bow season. The more pressure you put on them at night the better. Even if you are just terrorizing them you will make them go elsewhere. But they will come back in a couple months or when the neighbors run them back. But they hate dogs and if you put them on them every night you can they will move. And if you let hog hunters come in you need to make it clear they only have permission to be on land when YOU say! I had some guys come on us saying they had hog hunting rights it was a real mess. Keep that clear. And be firm about that don't give out a gate key. Or you'll be changing locks. I have a box full that every one in east Mississippi and west Alabama have a key too. Because I trusted one dog Hunter too much.

n10sivern
08-08-2016, 11:07 AM
I agree but I live two hours away from my property and I don't trust anybody as they could be hunting deer when I'm not there. I work weekends in the ER so it's predictable when they could hunt and not get caught. I have two black mouth cuts that'll run the hell out those hogs but I can't be up there enough to run them completely off

swamphonkey
08-08-2016, 11:33 PM
You can do what I do invite a few friends that have to drive 6 or 8 hours to come hunt hogs with you for a weekend and when they take all that time to come and spend all that money when you get there you won't see a hog. Lol..