PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Got a non functioning Savage 219C: Help needed

JRexA
07-26-2016, 11:06 PM
I have gotten hold of an old Savage 219C in 30-30.

When I got it, the hammer did not cock, and it does not keep the barrel locked down, when closed.

I did some cleanup, and can now get it to try cocking the hammer, but the hammer isn't cocked enough, for the trigger to catch it.
And the barrel locking mechanism still fails.

Also, There was a loose spring, in the right side of the hammel.
My guess is, that it is for the barrel Locking mechanism.
But I can't find, where it should fit.

Is there anyone, that has instructions for dismantling the 219C?

I have looked at the pictures from Numrich and others, but they are no real help.

J.Baker
07-27-2016, 12:14 AM
As with many of the older guns like this, unless you can find a gunsmith who has experience with them you're likely going to be left with trial and error on your own. Could be the hammer spring has weakened over the years and is causing the cocking issue. Also think you're on the right track for that loose spring, though I can't help ya with getting it back where it belongs. More than likely if it was loose in the action it probably means it broke and needs replaced.

The Old Coach
07-28-2016, 08:21 PM
IF you can find a copy, Frank deHaas' book "A Potpourri of Single Shot Rifles and Actions" has a discussion on the 219. I see some copies on Amazon, but they ain't cheap. He did not in this case give takedown instructions, but his drawings are excellent as always.

The "C" model BTW is just a "B" with a modification to the firing pin retaining screw.

JRexA
08-18-2016, 09:16 AM
It looks like there is a broken "pin" that should hold the spring for the locking lugs, and that is the reason for them not working.

As I only paid US$ 15 for it. I will likely give it up, as it is more work, than it is worth.