PDA

View Full Version : Target action question

DanSavage
07-25-2010, 03:53 PM
One of my good friends works at one of the top machining companies in New York, and he claims that he could make me a target action as long as I have the dimensions of it. Am I wasting my time dreaming about it, or could this be done. He said it would'nt cost me a dime because he works night shifts, and I know that he has over 15 years experience as a machinist. Any thoughts on this would be great.

Dan

pdog06
07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Dont know where you'd get the specs for it, other than measuring off another one.

82boy
07-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Call Savage they will give you the prints. Now if them prints are right, is another story.

pa hog
07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I'd say your wasting your time, 99% of Machine shops are not gonna have the correct tooling to make necessary machining steps to machine an action. If they did everyone would be doing it. I doubt the prints(If they would give them out) are gonna have all the data you would need anyway,as to the cocking ramp angles and so on. The actions are forged then machined. Not to mention the heat treating part of it. I'd pass.

DanSavage
07-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I think your right Pa Hog, I forgot about the heat treatment part, I might as well just pass on it unless he can heat treat it too. I'd probably be better off saving up for the real deal.