PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun steel shot from stevens 311 20 gage

chuck-ia
07-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Just got this gun, has 26'' barrels, so what I have read it is mod. and imp. cyl. chokes. Am wondering about shooting steel shot through this, not a lot but a few shot hunting where I have to use non toxic shot. What would be a better shot to use that will not harm the barrels? Bismuth is out of the question as it is very expensive. I doubt I would use a box of 25 shells through the season. I just have this uneasy feeling about using steel shot, maybe a smaller size steel shot would not be as hard on the barrel as say no. 2 shot? Or maybe just use steel in the imp. cyl. barrel? I mainly hunt with my smoothbore flintlock, but may want to take this out a time or 2. I did buy 7 lbs. of bismuth shot about 10 years ago to use in the flintlock, at that time it was over 100.00 for the 7 lbs., still have over half of it left. What is your opinion on using steel shot in the 311? Is there a non toxic shot I can use that will not harm the barrels? What is your opinion on this? thanks, chuck

J.Baker
07-26-2016, 03:05 AM
I wouldn't recommend it, but I know there are many who say it's ok so long as you have a Modified or more open choke. My catalogs give two choke options for the 311 in 20ga, 26" barrels with Imp. Cyl. and Mod., and 28" with Mod. & Full.

As for Non-steel, non-toxic shells take a look at Hevi-Shot's offerings. Their Classic Doubles and Hevi-Shot Duck loads will fit the bill, but they're a bit pricey. Rio Ammunition (out of Spain) has come out with some Bismuth loads as well. Kent also makes some Bismuth loads that are about 1/3 the price of the Hevi-Shot and you can get it from Cabela's. I would recommend emailing whichever you go with and asking which size shot to use with your particular chokes just to be on the safe side. I'm not a waterfowl hunter so I can't help you much there.