PDA

View Full Version : Pre accutrigger savage 11 questions

Cmonsta
07-22-2016, 10:48 PM
I tried searching and did not find what I am looking for. I hope I did not miss it. I am currently looking at a Savage 11 in 308 and can see it does not have an accutrigger. I'm assuming before they made it? Anyway, my main question is how does this effect things when I am trying to customize it? I plan on upgrading the stock and barrel at a minimum. Will the same stocks made today for the pre accutrigger models? Also, how hard is putting a new trigger in? And reccomendations? I have zero experience at gun smithing or building a rifle, but need to start somewhere right?

Cmonsta
07-22-2016, 10:55 PM
I forgot to mention. That rifle will be $300 with a cheap scope. I also have the option to buy a 11 VT for $420 no scope. Would the heavy barrel and accutrigger be worth the extra $120 in your opinion?

foxx
07-22-2016, 11:21 PM
^^^Depends... How close are you to Cabelas? The 12FV is a same price new. I prefer it even though it is blind mag. ALso, you could sell a NEW take-off barrel varmint barrel if you like for a lot more than a used one. Keep in mind the VT has a cheap "Axis style" detachable mag with a plastic clasp.

Also, when buying used, you gotta assume "barrel burners' like 22-250 and .243 are burned out. If the VT is a .308 it probably has a lot of life in it yet.

$300 is fair for the other one. Sharp Shooter Supply "Competition Trigger" is a nice but it might be too low poundage for hunting (1.5 pounds???) Rifle Basix Sav-1 is about the same price and both are easy enough to install.

ALso, the model 12 from Cabelas MIGHT have a $100 rebate offer coming up in August. Won't know for a while, of course.

As for stocks, it's not an issue. Well, it is, but they are pretty much readily avail for both of those models. There is a diference, though, so before you buy a stock, you may want to check back in here and confirm with the guys what you need as far as a top v. bottom bolt release and action screw spacing, etc.

Cmonsta
07-23-2016, 05:30 AM
Awesome thank you for our input! I don't live to close to a cabelas but I go past it about once a month for work. And don't mind making an excuse to drive the 2.5 hours to one lol. Might have to do some more looking then!

The VT is 308. Whatever I buy will stay as is for a little while I'm sure. Will work on me as a shooter first before I go to crazy with the rifle. My end goal is a 1000 yard rifle. I'm sure many set that goal and fail and I might also. But I am ready for the challenge and excited to learn more about my rifle in the process. Up until a few months ago when I started doing a little research, I didn't know how much you could work on a rifle and how far you could push them. I thought you had to start with a $2k rifle if you wanted to shoot 1000 yards.

cowtownup
07-23-2016, 07:36 AM
When you buy a rifle basix trigger there are some parts off the accutrigger that you use on the new rifle basix trigger. Can anyone advise if this NON-Accutrigger model will have those parts to interchange to the new Rifle Basix trigger?

I have the same question as you Cmonsta but I'm working with a Stevens Model 200...

foxx
07-23-2016, 08:16 AM
^^^ The Rifle Basix Sav-1 trigger will work with ALL Model 10/110 series rifles and Stevens 200 and Axis/Edge models. It does not matter if you are replacing the Accutrigger or NonAccutrigger triggers. Yes, you will need some of the parts off of the original triggers assemblies when making the swap, but it does not matter which model you start with, the parts needed for the job are there.

FW Conch
07-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Comsta, that Cabelas 12FV, when sold with the rebate as suggested by foxx, is one of the best deals going, and IMO, a great platform to build from, or to start doing what you want to do, right out of the box. And that "is" a good way to start. I say this because 1 of two things will happen. Ether You will start this shooting experience and decide it's not what You thought it was (not likely), or You will be hooked and Your original purchase will be dwarfed by where this "illness" takes You. All of My purchases have been with the intent of acquiring the bare action, because I replace everything from there up with components that I desire. I could easily purchase a rifle for $2,000 that I don't like, or doesn't suit me. Instead, I have some rifles that cost about $850 to build that shoot very well and suit me completly.

The $120 difference in cost that You mentioned, will quickly become a moot point as You get into this. You'll go through more than that in ammo or reloading components in short order. Research and get what You want, even if it cost a few hundred more ;-).

Good Luck on the Addiction...uh, Journey :-) ... Jim

Cmonsta
07-23-2016, 03:54 PM
You guys rock thank you for the info. I'll warn in advance I'll have a lot of questions with this build. I'll try to not be to annoying lol. So how do we know this rebate may or may not be coming? Next time I go past cabelas will be mid to lake August. So I can wait for sure. I am Chomping at the bit and will keep looking at used but that does sound like an amazing deal!!! Might have to try hard tk wait!

foxx
07-23-2016, 04:22 PM
For the past couple years they have offered rebates seasonally (Feb-June and Aug thru Nov or so) They are not announced in advance, but Model 12's (there are many varieties of Model 12's) have had $100 rebates frequently. There are others as well. Being this close to August, it might be worth waiting to see. Without that promotion/rebate, what you're looking at is a pretty decent deal. You might consider snagging one of them if you think someone else might take it first.

Cmonsta
07-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Awesome!! I decided to turn down the VT. The other I think isn't going anywhere fast. So I will keep my fingers crossed in the rebate and see what happens. That would be a sweet deal for sure!!

cowtownup
07-23-2016, 09:44 PM
Thanks Foxx for clearing that up for me.. I may put a Sav-2 on my Stevens 200...

foxx
07-23-2016, 09:50 PM
^^^ yes.

The Sav-2 will fit all Top Bolt Release models, Accutrigger and non Accutrigger.

It will NOT work with bottom bolt release models.

foxx
07-23-2016, 10:20 PM
oh, cowtownup, I may have misread your post. I thought you were asking if you could.

Yes, I like the Sav-2 for LOW poundage. A lot.
It can be set higher, too, but for 2 pounds or so, but I think it's a waste for hunting rifles. Sav-1 is just as good at 2.5 to 3 pounds or so.