PDA

View Full Version : 300 wsm

bjsillinois
07-22-2016, 09:37 AM
Im in the process of building a 300 WSM heavy benchrest rifle for varmint hunting. I have a 30" 1.25 straight taper, Rock Creek barrel ordered. Its going on a Model 16 action, with a single shot follower. It's going to sit in a Richards thumbhole, benchrest stock.
My question, would I need to bed the first couple inches of the barrel to help maintain the weight of the barrel. I'm going to pillar bed the action, using Devon, for the pillars, and putting Devon on the bottom length of the action as well, so I know the action isn't going anywhere, just didn't want to put undo stress on the action. Looking at the barrel weight calculator, the barrel will weigh about 10 pounds even, just a little more, once i put a muzzle brake on the end.
Thanks, Billy

snowgetter1
07-23-2016, 05:03 PM
I had a 30" bull in the same type of set up in 300wsm. I had a stockys thumbhole and only bedded the recoil lug. Never had any issues and it shot great.

bjsillinois
07-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Snowgetter1,
Thanks for the reply.
Billy

yobuck
07-25-2016, 09:18 PM
IMO a 30" 1.250 barrel is a lot of weight to be supported by just the action threads of a Savage action.
On guns with long heavy barrels, I personaly prefer a barrel block, which is bedded, with the action
and remaining portion of barrel floated. The block is fastened to the stock, but the action screws are left loose or left out.
The current world record for 1000 yd benchrest (heavy gun) 10 shots, is not actually the smallest group shot at that distance.
But it is the heavy gun record, and was shot 5 or 6 years ago at Williamsport PA with a 300 wsm. The shooters name is Matt Klien,
who is from Selinsgrove PA which isn't far from Williamsport. The gunsmith was Mark King from Duncannon PA who builds many of
the winning guns there. If I wanted an opinion, I wouldn't be asking people like me, id be asking people like them.

bjsillinois
07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Yobuck,
It just just so happens I did that very thing. I talked to a couple of gunsmiths, who build heavy benchrest rifles, both were of the opinion, as you said I could put a barrel block on it, or just bed about three inches in front of the barrel nut, which would do the same thing. In their experience, the rifle shot as good as using a barrel block, so I think I will try that first, and see if that works, if not I'll try something different.
Thanks for your input, Billy