PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 fcv .223

waltre
07-21-2016, 10:56 PM
I am seriously thinking of buying this rifle savage 12 fcv .223 and i am just looking for a little feedback on how well they do or dont shoot. There seems to be lots of information on many of the model 12 rifles out there but not much info. I can find on this one. I am not sure how long the model 12 fcv has been around if it is newer or just not a favorite. I really need a couple of people who own and shoot this rifle to give me a little feedback so thanks and i will be waiting.

rjtfroggy
07-22-2016, 06:46 AM
It has been around for quite a while. The biggest complaint is the cheap blow molded stock, if you can go for the laminate stocked one. In the long run you will be much happier.
And yes I do own one, and after break in it shots better than I can.
If you reload try Sierra 60gr. flat base bullets at around 2.222 oal you won't be sorry.

darkker
07-22-2016, 05:36 PM
They aren't any different, sans window dressing.
Savage builds mountains of receivers, barrels, etc. Depending upon the finish, barrel contour, stock, they get stamped as one thing or another.

So how will it shoot? Likely as well or poorly as any other Savage. Savage if beautiful for it's modularity and ease of modification. But as far as the QC goes they really are the Yugo of the gun world. They absolutely CAN turn out some downright scary accurate rifles, but they have had well more than their share of clunkers also.

Texas10
07-24-2016, 08:22 AM
The model 12 FCV is a standard Savage model that comes with a detachable magazine. As Darkker says, they can be scary accurate right out of the box, even with off the shelf ammo. I find American Eagle Tipped varmint 50 grain shoots sub moa in both of my Savage 223's.

The model 12FV is the same rifle as the 12FCV but with a blind magazine, also scary accurate, and is a "Cabalas special" that costs about $300 less than the FCV. IMOP that's a lot'a coin for a detachable magazine, which BTW limits you from loading for long distance.

You can start with a 12FV on sale at Cabelas, usually around $349.00 and if you buy during the Savage rebate program you'll get a $100 rebate. Now you're down to about $250. You can toss the plastic stock and buy a good laminate stock, about $200 to your door, add a decent $300 scope, and be shooting that stupid cheap American Eagle ammo out to 500 yds with good accuracy. And if you hand load, you can shoot much further, more accurately, and CHEAPLY.

Cabalas just had these on sale, and typically do around Fathers Day. Sometimes around Black Friday too, and Savage should be having another rebate program starting around the same time. So if you can wait a few months, you'll save some good money, or check your local pawn shop and get a barely used one.

FWIW, I have two model 12FV's, one in 223 and one in 22-250 and both shoot tiny groups with hand loads and some factory ammo.

So for about $800 you can have a great looking, stupid accurate varmint/target gun that eats 35 cent ammo. And when you burn out the barrel or want to change barrel twist or caliper, you simply unscrew it and screw on another one. No kidding, you really can do it yourself.

savgebolt
07-24-2016, 10:36 AM
walt,,,, the cabelas gun is a top bolt release,,, the 12fcv is a bottom bolt release,,,,if you care,,,, i dont,,, i have the old 12fcv this is accustock, bottom bolt release in 22-250,,, i also have the new 12fcv, non accustock, bottom bolt release in 204,,,,love em both , recommend the gun to anyone,,, you may look at Dicks or field and stream stores for the savage 10vt ,,,, its a combo gun with scope , catch it on sale could be a good deal for you ,,,

indianasavage
07-24-2016, 04:49 PM
I bought a 12FV at Cabela's when the sale was running with the rebate. I just ordered this stock from Stocky's:

Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2 Vertical Grip Remington 700 BDL, Savage 10/12, Weatherby Vanguard ,Howa 1500 Step 1: Choose Model 2997 Savage 4.40" Centerfeed Step 2: Choose Color 02 Black

I will be sending the rifle with new stock to CDI for installation of a DBM to accept AI mags. Total cost of the rifle (minus optic) will be around $800 including one AI 10 round magazine when it is done. The rifle actually shoots quite well as is with the cheap, plastic Savage stock. I can consistently impact a 6 inch plate at 500 yards.