PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: barrel break-in procedure for new rifle

Pages : [1] 2

supr78nova
09-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Is there some basic break-in procedure that should be followed when using a rifle for the first time? I just purchased a Mark II -BTV the other day and I have yet to fire it. Just wondering if there is anything special that needs to be done as this is my first new rifle.

Thanks,

Dan

82boy
09-23-2009, 11:55 PM
This is a big can of worms. Everyone has there opinion on what to do. I say just shoot it. I can't find any scientific prof, that barrel break in procedures actually works.

outlawkyote
09-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Shoot one shot, ,,,,, Dance to the god of winds
Shoot another shot,,,,,, kneel to the god rain
shoot another shot,,,,,,,pray to the god of fire
shoot another shot,,,, bow to the god of thunder
shoot another shot,,,,,, kiss the range masters @$$
shoot another shot,,,,,, Broke in!!!!

louthedog
09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
This must be all done when singing the "Hokey Pokey" song.

1. Shoot one shot. Then put your left leg in.
2. Shoot another shot. Then put your left leg out behind you.
3. Shoot another shot. Then put you left leg in again and shake it all about.
4. Shoot another shot. Put your elbows at your sides with your hands at shoulder height and do the Hokey Pokey while turning clockwise in a circle and alternately raising your hands a few inches.
5. Stop turning and clap your hands while singing, "That's what it's all about!"

Repeat steps 1-5 and your done.

Sorry about the humor, but that's how I do it. Seriously.

outlawkyote
09-24-2009, 12:41 AM

4. Shoot another shot. Put your elbows at your sides with your hands at shoulder height and do the Hokey Pokey while turning clockwise in a circle and alternately raising your hands a few inches.
5. Stop turning and clap your hands while singing, "That's what it's all about!"

Any scientific proof that your breakin works better than mine? Yours looks funner ;D

82boy
09-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Shoot one shot, ,,,,, Dance to the god of winds
Shoot another shot,,,,,, kneel to the god rain
shoot another shot,,,,,,,pray to the god of fire
shoot another shot,,,, bow to the god of thunder
shoot another shot,,,,,, kiss the range masters @$$
shoot another shot,,,,,, Broke in!!!!

Thats great!

louthedog
09-24-2009, 12:48 AM

Any scientific proof that your breakin works better than mine? Yours looks funner ;D

No scientific proof yet. Still working on it. Sure draws a crowd at the range though.

nodak
09-24-2009, 01:06 AM
All you need to remember is it's a rimfire, clean it real good then just shoot it and it'll be broke in after a few bricks.

supr78nova
09-24-2009, 01:20 AM
ok that leads me to my next question. What's the best way to clean the barrel? What products do you recommend that I use or others that I should steer clear of? Is there any reason to stay away from bronze brushes? Any tips or tricks? Any help would be great.

Dan

82boy
09-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Again another can of worms with many opinions. Get a bore guide from possum hollow, and use a good one piece rod. Bronze brushes are a must for cleaning any firearm. A lot of rimfire shooter use shooters choice, lead remover solvent.

supr78nova
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
thanks, I will definitely look into it. Any good sources for a good one piece rod? What material should it be made of? Who sells Shooter's Choice? Thanks for the quick replies.

Dan

nodak
09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I use nothing but a patchworm and butches bore shine on all my rimfires.

http://patchworm.com/

82boy
09-25-2009, 11:37 PM
thanks, I will definitely look into it. Any good sources for a good one piece rod? What material should it be made of? Who sells Shooter's Choice? Thanks for the quick replies.
Dan

Good 1 piece rod, J Dewey

Shooters choice is sold at the same store that sell ammo listed in your other post. Also MC Sporting goods use to sell. it and many local stores as well.

shelbyfan
09-26-2009, 03:22 PM
I use the same method on all of my rimfires as recommended by custom barrel manufacturers around the globe. "Use of any metallic brush will void any warranty, only swabs are to be used."

Eric in NC
09-26-2009, 03:32 PM
After the initial cleaning, the only time I ever clean 22 LR guns is if I take them out in the rain/mud/snow etc., drag them through some muck (like the gun that goes on the 4 day canoe trips) or accuracy falls off for some strange reason.

When you change ammo types/brands be sure to shoot at least 50 rounds through it before you begin to make an opinion on whether it is "good" or "bad" ammo for your rifle. The lube on rimfire bullets varies a lot and you have to let them settle in when you change brands/types.

supr78nova
09-26-2009, 07:47 PM
When I got the gun home last week, I cleaned the bore first with a bronze brush, followed by some saturated patches, then some dry patches and then proceeded to oil it. Is it possible that I did some damage to the bore or crown of the barrel in doing this?

I checked the website for the Possum Hollow bore guide and I can't find a part number that corresponds to a savage 22 rimfire. Any help on that would be great.

The patchworm looks like a good idea and seems like it would work pretty well. I guess if using brushes is really that bad of an idea I will have to look further into this.

Would it be ok to use patches on a jag or is that a no-no as well?

Why would the use of a metallic brush that is softer than the steel barrel void the warranty?

shelbyfan
09-26-2009, 08:21 PM
To put it simply, and I feel most will agree ;D The only way a bronze or brass brush will ever hurt a steel barrel is if it were to be constantly rubbing together for years on end, maybe not that long, but you get the picture. There is nothing wrong with using a bronze or brass brush, I believe 99% of the damage will come from being to aggressive with cleaning.

No, it will not damage your crown or chamber, unless you dropped it on concrete. That does damage the barrel, I know.

How people clean their firearms is a personal as asking the best way to wax your car, DON'T ANSWER THAT :P It comes down to what you prefer and what makes you feel most comfortable. I know people who clean their rifles every ten shots, I know other people who have 50,000 rounds and have never cleaned it.

The only thing I will say to NEVER use is steel cleaning equipment, ever. I personally use the Otis Rimfire kit. It works just like a rod but is a cable so it is much more compact, it even comes with a pack. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=254748 I also have one for my 243.

varmitbuster
09-26-2009, 09:34 PM
on rimfires your not breaking in the barrel. you are breaking in the chamber. the chamber will be rough were the bullet meets the lands. that is what you are breaking in. some will take very few shots others may that a 1000 to smooth out. it all depends on how rough it the chamber is when you get the rifle.

as for cleaning allow the gun to tell you.

supr78nova
09-26-2009, 09:42 PM
That answers a lot...thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Dan

82boy
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I checked the website for the Possum Hollow bore guide and I can't find a part number that corresponds to a savage 22 rimfire. Any help on that would be great.

Just give them a call, they have hundreds of bore guides that are not in their catalog, or have part numbers.