PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 Palma Bolt Will Not Pull Back in Safety Mid-Position with Live Round Chambered

Pages : 1 [2]

Savage12Palma308Guy
09-16-2016, 12:00 AM
Sent the Palma rifle to Savage the first time and they "polished the chamber", fired 5 rounds, found no problem, and sent it back to me. I took it back to the range and had the same problem ... bolt will rotate up but not pull back and eject a live round ... within 40 rounds of Hornady 155gr TAP FPD 308 factory cartridges. Sent it back to Savage AGAIN and they are giving me the same response ... "polished the chamber," it works okay for them, and it meets their specs. I've seen posts from zilla and GunsBrokeMe in this forum describing the same issue, so it IS a problem and not just my gun. This is nuts.

Robinhood
09-16-2016, 07:20 AM
How long are your Hand loads? What weight bullet? Have you used a Stony Point gauge for base to ogive?

J.Baker
09-16-2016, 07:47 AM
Sent the Palma rifle to Savage the first time and they "polished the chamber", fired 5 rounds, found no problem, and sent it back to me. I took it back to the range and had the same problem ... bolt will rotate up but not pull back and eject a live round ... within 40 rounds of Hornady 155gr TAP FPD 308 factory cartridges. Sent it back to Savage AGAIN and they are giving me the same response ... "polished the chamber," it works okay for them, and it meets their specs. I've seen posts from zilla and GunsBrokeMe in this forum describing the same issue, so it IS a problem and not just my gun. This is nuts.

Did you ever try the feeler gauge test to check the primary extraction? What you just described sounds EXACTLY like a typical PE issue.