PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: At wits end with a Savage model 40, stuck case

grumpygoblin
07-20-2016, 09:30 PM
I experienced a case head separation with a 22 hornet (savage model 40). Bloody little bugger is in there good, and try as I might I cannot get it out.

I've tried the over sized bore brush. Froze it over night in -28* F. I tried a stuck case extractor from a 223 (it bent, no luck).

I tried to get a screw or screw extractor in the action to thread into the brass so I could punch it out, but I tell you that little single shot action is fricking tight, and I cannot get a tool into the action to turn anything.

Does the barrel come off on these? That might make it easier to get at the case. At this point I am getting close to losing hope.

Robinhood
07-20-2016, 10:36 PM
Take and empty case and try to chamber then extract using enough force to swedge the case neck inside the part of the case that is in the chamber. If that does not work, seat a bullet where the ogive is right below the top of the neck and try again. Worked in an AR 15.

short round
07-21-2016, 01:02 AM
The barrel can be removed. There is a round lug, about 1/2'' dia. that is dovetailed into barrel & action & has allen head screw holding everything together. Simply loosen screw, remove lug & unscrew barrel. May need to remove scope base mount screws. I've used a threading tap, turned it about 3 or 4 turns & the brass came out of chamber. May have been 1/4'' tap. If your reloading Hornet watch for signs of case head separation, sometimes you can see it starting by a faint line going around the brass. Have made L shaped probe out of paper clip to feel a groove just above case head.

rjtfroggy
07-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Happens to me every time I take that darn gun out, stopped shooting it because it was such a PIA.
What I use is a 1/4" self tapping masonary screw (home depot or hardware store), long screw driver and a cleaning rod. Place the screw in breach tighten gently tap out from muzzle end with rod.
I keep all of this with the mod. 40 so when I take it out I only have short stoppages when shooting, not complete stops.
My advice do not take apart you will be sending back to Savage for repair to put it back together.

grumpygoblin
07-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Well that was the easiest disassembly I have ever done on a rifle. Hell, I thought I was going to have to break out a sight pusher to push the dovetailed recoil lug. But it just moved with some gentle taps of a rubber handle.

I thought I was going to have to get a set of go/no-go gauges too, but the barrel has a flat spot that indexes with the recoil lug, so I am confident I can get it back in the exact same spot. Now to just try to thread a screw into the brass to see if I can pull it out. I have some penetrating oil soaking now.