PDA

View Full Version : How To Make 308 Brass From 30-06

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

scope eye
07-19-2016, 05:38 PM
How to make 308 brass out of 30-06, all you have to do is remove the decaping pin AKA as gut the die, and run the 30-06 brass through the 308 die all the way to they end until it bottoms out. Then I cut off they excess with a Dremel Tool and do the fine trimming with the case trimmer, they only extra work is with the Dremel part but that doesn't take long.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b536/jazzygirl44/3006-8_zps4mfntoqr.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jazzygirl44/media/3006-8_zps4mfntoqr.jpg.html)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b536/jazzygirl44/308-6_zpsrghjjsgi.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jazzygirl44/media/308-6_zpsrghjjsgi.jpg.html)

Dean

scope eye
07-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Finished product.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b536/jazzygirl44/finished_zpspczlxnep.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jazzygirl44/media/finished_zpspczlxnep.jpg.html)

Dean

scope eye
07-19-2016, 07:01 PM
So basically what it comes down to is, you could make any 308 based case out an 06, 7-08, 260, 243, even a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Dean

Robinhood
07-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Good job Dean. Like the cover on the deck!

scope eye
07-19-2016, 08:17 PM
No neck turning should be involved, and if ever you did need to turn then you can also use 270 or 25-06 brass that would thin the necks, I do this to expand shooters options, And anyway I just think it is cool and that is all I care about.

Dean

squirrel_slayer
07-19-2016, 10:17 PM
be careful as i've heard some extractors can break as the extractor groove is shallower. also did you check H2O capacity to make sure you don't run into pressure issues?

scope eye
07-19-2016, 11:25 PM
I have never heard anyone one having extractor issues, a Savage 308 and 30-06 have the same bolt face and extractor and that is never an issue either. I have even run them through my M1a and they extracted fine, and as far as pressure a 308 and 30-06 are rated basically the same as far as psi. And I have been running the same load in they 06 based brass as I run in all my 308 brass from Win to Lapua to Nato, with no problems.

Dean

Robinhood
07-19-2016, 11:31 PM
Dean, I have heard that if you do run into pressure issues you can use a Dremel cut off wheel to cut a "Pressure Relief" groove down the axis of the case.

squirrel_slayer
07-19-2016, 11:37 PM
I have never heard anyone one having extractor issues, a Savage 308 and 30-06 have the same bolt face and extractor and that is never an issue either. I have even run them through my M1a and they extracted fine, and as far as pressure a 308 and 30-06 are rated basically the same as far as psi. And I have been running the same load in they 06 based brass as I run in all my 308 brass from Win to Lapua to Nato, with no problems.

Dean

I've personally never had it happen but have seen photos, but they were pistol's (when people make shotshells for 45 acp guns) figured same rules could apply and just thought i'd throw it out there.

scope eye
07-19-2016, 11:40 PM
Dean, I have heard that if you do run into pressure issues you can use a Dremel cut off wheel to cut a "Pressure Relief" groove down the axis of the case.

You may be on to something, I am going to work up a few prototypes, and follow up.

Dean

bigedp51
07-21-2016, 02:42 PM
And when you convert 30-06 to .308 you end up with thicker necks and cutting off the annealed section of the case.

Because the necks are thicker you work the brass more when sizing, and since you cut off the annealed section the necks will crack much sooner.

If you do not have enough neck clearance you will have pressure spikes and even go over pressure.

And if you neck turn and anneal the neck you will still get donuts at the base of the neck.

Its cheaper, safer and faster to buy once fired Lake City 7.62 cases. (subliminal suggestion)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/762chamberreamer_zps31854e89.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/183911_zps5aff5dc9.jpg

scope eye
07-21-2016, 02:58 PM
I guess you would have to tell that to they 10 or 12 Palma and M1a shooters, at the range that I am a member at cause that is all they shoot, they even buy new 30-06 brass to convert so they must know something.

Dean

bigedp51
07-21-2016, 04:48 PM
And a normal .308 case has more chamber neck clearance and the case necks are annealed.

I tried this in the past and did not have enough neck clearance. And this depends on how thick the case is in the body and governs how much neck clearance you will have.

If you Google the subject you will see posts where they inside neck reamed or outside neck turned and annealed the case necks.

If you notice the chart I posted a M1A has a chamber neck diameter .002 larger in diameter than SAAMI and the Palma is .006 smaller than the M1A..

What I'm trying to get across to you and the other people reading this is you need adequate neck clearance and a annealed case neck.

You did not post the normal loaded .308 cartridge case neck diameter and the converted 30-06 to .308 neck diameter.

To do what you are doing you need a neck thickness gauge and a micrometer or vernier caliper to measure case necks.

Guessing at this can cause extremely high chamber pressures if you do not have enough neck clearance.

Even custom rifles with tight neck chambers neck turn their "standard" cases to ensure proper neck clearance and uniformity.

Below is a "average" Remington .223 case with .004 neck thickness variation and some of these cases had .008 neck thickness variation.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMG_2136_zps079ece9b.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMG_2136_zps079ece9b.jpg

And without a neck thickness gauge the case neck could be pushing the bullet out of alignment with the bore and even binding without adequate neck clearance.

What your buddies do at the range doesn't matter and what does matter is the safety of the people reading this posting.

scope eye
07-21-2016, 05:03 PM
It is not just my Buddies at the range, this has been going on for quite some time by a lot of shooters.

Dean

bigedp51
07-21-2016, 06:24 PM
It is not just my Buddies at the range, this has been going on for quite some time by a lot of shooters.

Dean

OK, show the forum your neck thickness gauge, micrometers, vernier calipers you used.

Show the forum the neck diameter of a loaded factory .308 and the neck thickness of your converted 30-06 to .308 necks.

Do you actually think a Remington case has the same sidewall thickness as a Winchester case. And what happens if someone uses even thicker military 30-06 cases to convert.

Why would anyone want to shoot cases that are not annealed with thicker necks that will crack much sooner.

You just don't shove a 30-06 case in a .308 die and then post "look at what I did".

And anyone who takes the time to Goggle the subject will see to properly do this the case necks need to be reamed or neck turned.

What is your neck tension or bullet grip with your modified cases.

How much is the expander working the brass.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but your posting isn't even half finished because you didn't supply any measurement data.

scope eye
07-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Neck tension is really tight, but nothing pistol powder wont fix, hey all I am saying is I have done it others I know have done it, I have experienced and witnessed it. Just like anything else on the web reader beware, This is a perfectly good example of why I don't post as much on this forum anymore. Ask anyone I have done and posted some really edgy stuff on this forum over the years as far as loading, velocity, wildcats, ect and which others have tried and we are all still here to talk about it.

Dean

earl39
07-21-2016, 11:53 PM
I will jump in the fire here. First i have done this in the past but as Ed said have learned to buy military brass and go on about my business. As Scope eye said it can be done and people still do it for whatever reason. Done properly it works great. Not so properly it causes problems. The case needs to be annealed after going thru the die and before fireforming. Chamber dimensions should be known or at least know what fired brass measures when it comes out of the chamber with no less that .004 clearance or new neck should be reamed or turned. Exceptions made for those that shoot a tight neck and know what they are doing. Complete load workup should be done starting at the very bottom of the lowest chart you can find. Even quick load sucks for this. As for neck tension, once the brass is annealed tension will be about the same as most measure it (thousandths) but actual tension will be more unless neck is turned to the normal 12-15 thousandths. By this i am talking PSI or OSI O being ounces in this case. So you are both correct but unless it is the end of the world and all you can find to feed your 308 is '06 brass you are better off and time and money ahead to just buy good 308 brass. If you have a lot of '06 brass that has split necks and want to get all you can out of it then this will work.

OK i'm thru talking now

bigedp51
07-22-2016, 12:25 AM
I will jump in the fire here. First i have done this in the past but as Ed said have learned to buy military brass and go on about my business. As Scope eye said it can be done and people still do it for whatever reason. Done properly it works great. Not so properly it causes problems. The case needs to be annealed after going thru the die and before fireforming. Chamber dimensions should be known or at least know what fired brass measures when it comes out of the chamber with no less that .004 clearance or new neck should be reamed or turned. Exceptions made for those that shoot a tight neck and know what they are doing. Complete load workup should be done starting at the very bottom of the lowest chart you can find. Even quick load sucks for this. As for neck tension, once the brass is annealed tension will be about the same as most measure it (thousandths) but actual tension will be more unless neck is turned to the normal 12-15 thousandths. By this i am talking PSI or OSI O being ounces in this case. So you are both correct but unless it is the end of the world and all you can find to feed your 308 is '06 brass you are better off and time and money ahead to just buy good 308 brass. If you have a lot of '06 brass that has split necks and want to get all you can out of it then this will work.

OK i'm thru talking now

earl39

You must be almost as smart, good looking and modest as I am. ;-)

And its too bad scope eye doesn't have any gauges to check his work, then possibly after annealing and neck turning his posting would be more accurate.
But who needs cases with necks .003 thicker, possibly tapered and not annealed.

.308/7.62 - Cleaned, Deprimed & Swaged - LC Only - 500 Pieces $95.00 Free Shipping
http://www.brassbombers.com/308-762-Cleaned-Deprimed-Swaged-LC-Only-500-Pieces-7LC-S0050.htm

.308/7.62 - AS-IS - WRA 68 & RA 69 Only - 500 pieces $48.00 Free Shipping
http://www.brassbombers.com/308-762-AS-IS-WRA-68-RA-69-Only-500-pieces-7WRA-A005.htm

schnyd112
07-22-2016, 03:25 AM
Um...? I have seen scope eye post some pretty impressive wildcats. If you truly believe he doesn't have the tools to make this work I am disappointed. For reloaders to think a fellow experimenter does not have the basic tools of the trade is a little embarrassing. Are you the only one that knows brass is not the same from every manufacturer? Do you really think you are the only one with calipers and a micrometer? Do you have the gumption to try something new? Even if you are not sure it will work?

In the end, we are talking about brass. A very formable and soft metal. There is a reason we use brass and not steel or aluminum. It is very easy to work with, reform, anneal, trim, shave, shoot and reload. Don't dismiss his ability because he is taking a standard cartridge and making another standard cartridge.

I for one am thrilled there are people out there willing to do extra work to make unconventional cartridges. The process is the process. It has been proven to work over many years. Look at ackley. I am sure people he talked to called him names as well but here we are now with many of his cartridges now being backed by large manufacturers and gaining SAAMI classification.

One of these days supply will run dry and those of us that are serious about the hobby will need to have the confidence and ability to make what we need.

I say good on ya scope eye. Keep us on our toes and keep finding ways to take one case and make something different.

Robinhood
07-22-2016, 10:31 AM
And to think I cut down 500 pcs of LC 30-06 to make 44 auto mag brass out of. Dern it