PDA

View Full Version : 22 hornet swap

birdie
07-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I was wondering if I could barrell swap a 22 hornet for my .204 ruger in my model 11? thanks!

terrier
07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
There is a HUGE differance between what can be done and what is practical. The experts will explain all the details of why it is not a practical or even possible. A fairly simple conversion would be the .221 Fireball. Feeding is problematic but using a single shot follower would solve this. The Hornet is a unique and wonderful cartridge that is a joy to shoot and I would not concider not having one in the safe. The .221 is easier to live with though.
Terrier

82boy
07-24-2010, 07:29 PM
I was wondering if I could barrell swap a 22 hornet for my .204 ruger in my model 11? thanks!

Can't be done, and why you would what to do it is beyond me. You would be better off buying a 221 fireball if you want something like a hornet. The hornet uses a rimmed cartridge, and there is not bolt head available to adapt it.

hailstone
07-24-2010, 09:54 PM
If a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk 1 can be made into 22 Hornet caliber I would suspect the Model 11 Savage could also be done. However cost would be prohibitive if you hired the work done. Doing the work yourself would cut the cost down but still more than just buying one already set up. Believe the Model 40 Savage is still available NIB or used condition on various auction sites. New ones run around $400-$450. Acquiring a action and barrel would eat most of the Model 40 base cost. Still have the cost of machining work needing to be done. Just not pratical for average individual to do. I have the knowledge, skill, tools and equipment to accomplish such an untaking but don't have the desire and I'm a Hornet collector.

tenwalker
07-25-2010, 01:29 AM
I have had 2 model 40's in 22 Hornet and both shot great and were extremely accurate with "LIL GUN" and 35gr V-Max. Many Prairie Dogs never knew what hit them.

birdie
07-25-2010, 10:58 AM
The reason for the swap is two fold. The .204 does not shoot that great. and i just got 300 rounds of hornet ammo from a freind.

hailstone
07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Rather than convert you rifle I would suggest either locating a older Savage 340, A, B, C, D or Series E model. Only down side is there used prices are nearly what a new Model 40 runs. The Model 40 is a single shot while the Model 340 used a five round clip. The clips are fairly easy to buy used but have gone up in price too the $40 range. Another excellant rifle is the CZ527. Cost for a used one will still be over $100 more than the Model 40. Lots of Ruger 77/22 Hornets in the used racks mainly due to accuracy problems which directly is attributed to the horendous trigger pull. This is easily fixed with a Timney trigger kit.

Hearing the glowing comments others have posted about the 204 Ruger can't believe there's one out there that doesn't shoot one hole groups. Actually I bought into the hype couple years ago and picked up a barrel for my Encore. So far I've not been impressed. The 223 Remington will do everything the 204 will do except shoot a little flatter and little extra velocity. Wind drift is off the charts where I live so not even a good PD setup.

sinman
07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Pick up a 223 barrel or something else for the 204 and get a used 22hornet, maybe a mod 70 if you can find a decent priced one haha

tenwalker
07-25-2010, 01:48 PM
If he gave you 300 rounds of factory 22 Hornet chances are it will be all over the paper. My 2 model 40's sprayed 22 Hornet factory loads all over the place. But were great with hand loads. And the same went with my partners Browning 22 Hornet. ;D ::)

birdie
07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the input . I am not sure what I will do. I bought the model 11 .204 used.I bedded the action, shot about 100 rounds through it, and put it in tthe back of my safe.It shoots only slightly better than my other .204 nef rifle. I am a little discouraged, but do not know how much wear and tear is on the barrell. I do not have access to a bore scope. Is there anyone out there in southern michigan that has time to tinker with a rifle like this? I am an avid savage fan and love this walk-about rifle. I always wanted to; own an accurate .....204. If I cant get this weapon to shoot I might just put a ................223 barell on it. What do you all think? thanks again. Birdie

hailstone
07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Sell the Hornet ammo for $40 per box and you'll have enough for the new 223 barrel. Changing from 204 to 223 would be a snap as only part needed would be the barrel.