PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 creedmoor left handed action build

gp331
07-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone, I am certainly new to this site but have been an avid hunter all my life. I typically buy a rifle off the shelf and use it forever. I really have become interested more lately in shooting long range. I joined this forum because I am a left handed shooter and really want a 6.5 creedmoor to hunt with out to 7-800 yards and occasionally have some fun target shooting with they boys. As many of you know there aren't as many options available for the left handed shooter.

After doing quite a bit of surfing on the web and talking to guys locally, I really want to start with a Savage but don't like the stocks available or the calibers available for lefties. I really like the FLCP .308 with the exception of the stock and I do believe this would fit all my needs with exception of the stock. One thing that I am having trouble figuring out is..... the best way for me to get what I really want which is a 6.5 creedmoor in a tactical type stock left handed medium weight barrel. One other important thing to note is that I'm not at this time interested in competition shooting.... so a 0.5"MOA group isn't super critical for me as I am really wanting a good hunting rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor to make kill shots on a deer at 800 yds and budget is about $1000 for the rifle only.

Can someone start me in right direction here to help me how to accomplish the 6.5 creedmoor, McMillan A-5 type stock, medium - heavy weight barrel.

yobuck
07-18-2016, 05:43 PM
The only way to get what you really want is to get an action and build it.
Otherwise be a bit more open minded on the cartridge you have apparently convinced yourself you really need.
With a 300 win mag you would have far better bullet selection for even longer shots.

gp331
07-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your reply! I have a 300 win mag already & yes it certainly does the job well.

I just want a 6.5 creed. How hard is it to put a 6.5 creedmoor caliber barrel on a savage action?

drybean
07-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Nothing to it correct bolt head , barrel , headspace gauges
then have fun

gp331
07-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks drybean! That's what I was hoping to hear. So, if I purchase a inexpensive Axis and the correct tools and knowledge... It is possible. Any suggestions on where to gain the knowledge of how to do this?

psharon97
07-19-2016, 05:47 PM
First I would become a paid member. Paid membership will get you access to the classifieds on the forum. Actions, stocks, scopes, barrels, and reloading equipment come up for sale on the classifieds. Last year, I started with an incomplete rifle off this forum for $600. It came with an action I needed, with a Rifle Basix trigger, a boyds thumhole stock, 6mm br CBI barrel and barrel nut for $600. The stock went on another rifle I own, the barrel was sold on the forum. Basically, I started that build with $300 towards rifle. Total cost for the rifle sans the scope was ~$2500. I chose the 260, that way I could more easily make the brass out of any 308 family of cartridges.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P1012941_zpshhg3jswb.jpg (http://s644.photobucket.com/user/psharon97/media/P1012941_zpshhg3jswb.jpg.html)